The Student Room Group

Student Housing demanding payment for electrician visit

I have received an email stating that an electrician will come around today to read the meter. I stayed indoors the whole day waiting for him. Eventually I receive an email stating that he came around, knocked and no one was home and now I will have to pay a £40 fee.

The email states that the electrician had the keys for the property and he tried to get in but he couldn't because my key was in the door and it was locked. There is a doorbell but he did not use it. He might have knocked while I was in the kitchen or somewhere else but he didn't ring the doorbell and without a doorbell it's impossible to hear him.

How does this work? Do I really have to pay this absurd fee? Please help
Appeal and refuse. If there is no appeal channel then just ring them up and explain. The details will be on the letter.
Reply 2
On the contract it does state that a workman can come at any time (with 24h prior agreement) and that I would have to pay the fee if I am not present etc etc. What appears in most contracts. Point is, how could they prove that they were even here? What if they didn't knock at all :/
I would just fight against it and refuse, if your deposit is protected (which is has to be legally, if it isn't you can report that and they will get in a lot of trouble) they also can't make reductions from it if you contest them until it is resolved. I don't know where you stand legally but given it would be impossible to prove he was there and rang the doorbell and stayed for a reasonable time period (in case you were in the toilet or something) I'd imagine they can't fine you for it.
Why would an electrician come around to read the meter?

A) normally you read the meter yourself, and then send the readings to the gas/electricity company
B) when someone does come to read the meter, they are sent by the gas/electricity company (which means it's nothing to do with the landlord / letting agent) and it's an unskilled person - it's not a task that needs an electrician
C) unless your bills are included in your rent, your landlord / letting agent has nothing to do with the relationship between you and the gas/electricity company. It's literally none of their business.

Are you sure they said they were coming around to read the meter? If so that's dodgy AF. If it was a gas safety check or something that would make more sense.

With regards to what they actually did, tell them to jog on. They can't provide proof they were there, they didn't ring the doorbell, and it may be an unenforceable clause in the contract anyway (see the Office of Fair Trading guidance). If they try and deduct it from your deposit, then dispute it through the relevant deposit protection service.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending