The Student Room Group

What is it with muslim people and wanting to study medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zXcodeXz
Jheez you went all out!

"Muslims love their Medicine"???? Muslims love their education maybe? Some Muslims take it seriously, some don't just as human beings of any other religion.

But then again it could just be a cultural thing where their parents want them to go into a STEM career. Most Asians tend to excel in academics and especially those who are immigrants or the children of immigrants because they tend to value education more. They know that not everyone (including their parents sometimes) where they come from has the same good fortune they have, so they don't take it for granted.

Original post by humanteaparty
Man that was savage. i wasn't trying to insult them its just an observation I made.

Original post by richpanda
Don't be snarky.

Soz.
Original post by samina_ay
it's a doctor or nothing in some asian families

thankfully mine didn't put any emphasis on a job role, just said do good in school :tongue:

My parents still pressure me to do medicine
My family didn't once sell the idea of medicine to me. I was left to my own devices. I chose medicine because I wanted to do good in the world, practice my religion every day in a career of my choosing and I found that therapeutics and biomedical sciences was my strength. For further clarity visiting sick people in hospital gives brownie points in Islam, saving a life gives more brownie points. Two birds with one stone really.
Original post by jenigma
"Muslims love their Medicine"???? Muslims love their education maybe? Some Muslims take it seriously, some don't just as human beings of any other religion.

But then again it could just be a cultural thing where their parents want them to go into a STEM career. Most Asians tend to excel in academics and especially those who are immigrants or the children of immigrants because they tend to value education more. They know that not everyone (including their parents sometimes) where they come from has the same good fortune they have, so they don't take it for granted.

Soz.

I know this by the way I didn't say that Muslims love their medicine. I am a Muslim and my parents pressure me to do medicine
What are you doing?

Oh I read that and thought you were having a go at me for replying then! :colondollar:

I'm studying Pharmaceutical and Cosmetic Science. Students who achieve a certain mark in their first year can use it as a foundation year and move up to Pharmacy if they didn't get the grades required at A-level. It's interesting how few people (like me) didn't choose this course to try and go on to Pharmacy!
Original post by darkvibes
Are you like the TSR meme king lol

Spoiler

Original post by DarkTitan
My family didn't once sell the idea of medicine to me. I was left to my own devices. I chose medicine because I wanted to do good in the world, practice my religion every day in a career of my choosing and I found that therapeutics and biomedical sciences was my strength. For further clarity visiting sick people in hospital gives brownie points in Islam, saving a life gives more brownie points. Two birds with one stone really.

Yeah that's true
It's more Asian, than Muslim. It's because Medicine is respectable and Asian parents encourage their children to be hard working and attain all the skills they can get. Plus many Asian parents love to 'show off' about their children and education is very much up there. But it's the same for Engineering and Law too.
I know this by the way I didn't say that Muslims love their medicine. I am a Muslim and my parents pressure me to do medicine

I wasn't replying to you haha, I meant for OP.
Reply 29
I think a lot of immigrants want their kids to do medicine so they get to the top of the social status pole in one leap. It shows a fundamental lack of knowledge of Western society because there are many alternatives to medicine but most immigrants don't know them or want to know them.

Its a shame that so many kids get pushed into such a narrow range of jobs and never look at all the things out there they could do.
Original post by carrotstar
Oh I read that and thought you were having a go at me for replying then! :colondollar:

I'm studying Pharmaceutical and Cosmetic Science. Students who achieve a certain mark in their first year can use it as a foundation year and move up to Pharmacy if they didn't get the grades required at A-level. It's interesting how few people (like me) didn't choose this course to try and go on to Pharmacy!

Wow that field is actually in treating aswell
I'm in year 11 at school and there are 15 people who I know of that want to study medicine. Out of these 15 people, 13 of them are muslim. There's not even a lot of muslim people in my year (maybe 15% of my year?).
Not trying to stereotype or anything just noticed that muslims love their medicine?, or maybe its looked favourably upon by there families?, or we white people just don't want to study medicine?

LOOOL tbh all my muslim friends have always aspired to do medicine, I myself am a muslim and also wanted to pursue a career in medicine, all my medical student friends are muslim... I know no white medics just one and she's chinese! lol! and all the muslim girls who went to my school allllllll tried to get into medicine, some succeeded some failed

so i get exactly what you're saying

also my mum is a doctor, my aunties and uncles are, my pakistani friends uncles and aunties are surgeons, and then i have other pakistani friends who's parents own clinics across dubai and elsewhere, i am arab and a lot of my family are medics, my cousins are ALL medics, only one of them didn't go into medicine and she went to do law :smile:
Original post by jenigma
I wasn't replying to you haha, I meant for OP.

Oh ok sorry
Reply 33
As a Muslim, I speak from experience if I became a doctor this will bring extreme honour upon my family and this would make me well educated. Yes usually Muslim parents wish their children to pursue medicine or engineering for some reason.

Hopefully, one day, Muslim and Asian parents will realise that the well-being of their children is more important than the honour of the family.
I think it depends on their Culture, but in Islam seeking knowledge, improving medical facilities for others, providing medicine, treatment, care etc are all encouraged strongly so maybe that is why
Original post by ForestShadow

Spoiler

haha brilliant!
Original post by Josb
Hopefully, one day, Muslim and Asian parents will realise that the well-being of their children is more important than the honour of the family.

Yeah I like medicine but I don't even know if I'm capable yet
Reply 37
Original post by Mochassassin
*raises hand* FAILURE PRESENT. :teehee:

Lol looks like I'm heading that way too.

Hmmm I also know a few muslim friends who want to be engineers. 'Puts on tin foil hat' ITS A CONSPIRACY.

Haha :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think its probs a matter of how most muslims wanna make what ever sacrifices their parents made to give them a life outside of wherever they came from worthwhile and don't acc take their education for granted
Original post by Maker
I think a lot of immigrants want their kids to do medicine so they get to the top of the social status pole in one leap. It shows a fundamental lack of knowledge of Western society because there are many alternatives to medicine but most immigrants don't know them or want to know them.

Its a shame that so many kids get pushed into such a narrow range of jobs and never look at all the things out there they could do.

It is a shame. But you can't blame the immigrant parents really tbh. Medicine, accountancy/finance and engineering are like Gold, everyone understands it, appreciates it and is universally accepted throughout the world. Only natural those parents whom might not be educated themselves would advocate a highly sought after trade for their children.

Quick Reply

Latest