The Student Room Group

Owe money to university!?

It's around the ending semester and for personal reasons I need to drop out but they told me if you drop out you owe the University £3000/£4500?!

Shall I take it seriously or are they just saying that so I stay on the course and pay them the £3000 fee which is scheduled by student finance next month (although I have stopped it already)
Original post by green235
It's around the ending semester and for personal reasons I need to drop out but they told me if you drop out you owe the University £3000/£4500?!

Shall I take it seriously or are they just saying that so I stay on the course and pay them the £3000 fee which is scheduled by student finance next month (although I have stopped it already)

This will depend on the fee conditions of the university concerned that you signed up to when you enrolled.

Your student services office should be able to explain exactly what might be owed if you withdraw partway through the year and how they will try to reclaim it.

You should speak to your university before withdrawing - if you withdraw for compelling personal reasons then SFE will continue your funding for 60 days after your withdrawal date. But that is unlikely to happen if you withdraw without speaking to your university.
Reply 2
Original post by green235

It's definitely feasible that you owe the uni this money.

If you leave before the end of the year, Student Finance claw back your tuition fee from the uni. That reduces or replaces the Tuition Fee Loan which you owe SF, but the uni then wants the tuition fee from you instead (you've already had the teaching, access to uni facilities etc, so you need to pay for what you've had). The uni will demand immediate repayment in full, although in reality they are likely to agree a gradual repayment plan. However you will have to negotiate this direct with your uni - they can each set their own terms & conditions and it's likely that every debt will be treated on a case-by-case basis.

So yes, you should definitely take it seriously. As PQ suggests, you need to start talking to the uni as soon as posdible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending