The Student Room Group

Most young Arabs against ISIS

Scroll to see replies

I hate to be that guy, but...

22% of 'young Arabs' could either see themselves supporting ISIS or don't know if they could see themselves supporting ISIS and you're posting it like it's a good thing? Couldn't you find a better poll than this?

That's brings me to another post I made recently...

Take a look at the number of Muslims that hold favourable opinions of ISIS courtesy of a poll carried out by Pew Research:

Somewhat similar to your poll, it is a small percentage of people that hold favourable views towards ISIS, but when you break down the numbers:

(6.5 million * 0.03) = 19500 (Jordan)
(~1.7 million * 0.06) = 102,000 (Palestine)
(250 million * 0.04) = 10,000,000 (Indonesia)
(75 million * 0.08) = 6,000,000 (Turkey)
(173 million * 0.14) = 24,220,000 (Nigeria)
(17 million * 0.08) = 1,360,000 (Burkina Faso)
(30 million * 0.11) = 3,300,000 (Malaysia)
(14 million * 0.11) = 1,540,000 (Senegal)
(182 million * 0.09) = 16,380,000 (Pakistan)

It comes out at 62,921,500 ISIS 'supporters' from this selection of just 12 countries as well as a huge amount of people that 'don't know'. Bare in mind this is just a poll from 12 countries and I would say that this is a worrying number of Muslims that have a favourable views towards ISIS. Definitely a problem.

Methodology:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by NickLCFC

22% of 'young Arabs' could either see themselves supporting ISIS or don't know if they could see themselves supporting ISIS and you're posting it like it's a good thing? Couldn't you find a better poll than this?
Sadly your post reflects the accurate reality of the level of support they have in the ME/NA, and shows the flip-side of such polls such as in the OP; polls can almost always be twisted to support any agenda. On first glance the poll seems to show an overwhelming disapproval of the IS, but upon deeper inspection the reality is much different.

Well you're always that guy so...

Also... 19% of people could see themselves supporting ISIS in the GCC (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, and Oman). I would say that's quite a high percentage :gasp:
Original post by AJ KO
Sadly your post reflects the accurate reality of the level of support they have in the ME/NA, and shows the flip-side of such polls such as in the OP; polls can almost always be twisted to support any agenda. On first glance the poll seems to show an overwhelming disapproval of the IS, but upon deeper inspection the reality is much different.

This. Polls, no matter how reliable those who conduct claim they are, are majorly misrepresentative. there's a reason why the media dont report on this, its because they are simply not reliable unless you're Fox news, and even they know better.
Original post by HanSoloLuck
Arab doesn't mean Muslim, 3500 isn't a very large number from which to make generalizations on Muslim opinion, being against ISIS doesn't mean that they aren't in favor of some other Islamic group like Boko haram, it also doesn't mean they don't support violence or slavery or rape or any of the other wonderful things many Muslims believe Islam calls them to do.............. I could go on.

This is clearly just completely bias propaganda, the data and presentation, worse still is that it's completely transparent. A person can see right through it at a moments glance, why post it as if it some sort of accolade for the Muslim community?

The same can be applied to a lot of Survey/Questionnaires that people on here use to "bash" Muslims and show that their views are conflicting...
Also, rape isn't acceptable in Islam
Reply 46
Original post by reinaadira

Also, rape isn't acceptable in Islam

Do you have Islamic authority for the proposition that rape is never permissible in any circumstances (in Islam)?

Does Islam agree that sex with children below a certain age always constitutes rape, as they are unable to give consent?

What does Islam say about sex with female slaves (captured from war)?
Poll showing young Muslims hold more extreme views than parents-everyone jumps to talk about how young Muslims have an integration problem,are radicalised and will grow into terrorists

Poll showing majority of young Arabs(vast majority of whom will be Muslim) are against ISIS- here people are criticising the methodology and say it doesn't matter because at the end of the day if they follow Islam they may as well be supporting ISIS, and they may 'favour other terrorist groups like Boko haram and Al Qaeda', or focus on the 13% who say they might support IS if they were less violent.

It's quite clear to see how many people are prejudiced against Muslims,and will always come to conclusions that support their existing prejudice. Even when someone points out that the vast majority of young Arabs are against IS, people would rather point out nonsensical things like how not all Arabs are Muslims(no ****, but 90% are), or talk about how perhaps they still support other terrorist groups
:rolleyes:

So much bs here
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by childofthesun
here people are criticising the methodology and say it doesn't matter because at the end of the day if they follow Islam they may as well be supporting ISIS

Can you show me where anyone on this thread has said that?
Original post by AJ KO
Do you have Islamic authority for the proposition that rape is never permissible in any circumstances (in Islam)?

Does Islam agree that sex with children below a certain age always constitutes rape, as they are unable to give consent?

What does Islam say about sex with female slaves (captured from war)?

Surah An Nisa- "O you who believe! You are forbidden to inherit women against their will, and you should not treat them with harshness"

And for Islamic Authority, you can see the rulings of Scholars, because I am not an expert in Islam and I am not a Scholar

https://islamqa.info/en/72338

If you don't want to read all of the ruling, here are some of the comments

The Arabic word ightisaab refers to taking something wrongfully by force. It is now used exclusively to refer to transgression against the honour of women by force (rape).

Islam doesn't actually require a rape victim to have four witnesses, it is actually those who commit adultery so they have time to seek for forgiveness/repent. This verse actually PROTECTS women becuase if someone accuses them of committing adultery, they will be required to bring witnesses.

Abdul-Jabbar ibn Wa’il ibn Hujr reported on the authority of his father that a woman was raped in the time of Prophet Muhammad. Prophet Muhammad punished the rapist but prescribed no punishment for the victim
Source- Tirmidhi, Book: Punishments, Chapter: On woman who is raped. -

The Prisoners of the war (female) were those who were at risk at being killed, raped, harmed etc. So the men were allowed, at her consent, to only have intimate relationships with them only if there were married.

As for your question about "children", it is obvious that from Islam, you need a Womens consent about marriage and it is pretty much common sense.

"Do not prevent them from marrying their husbands when they agree between themselves in a lawful manner." [Noble Quran 2:232]
Original post by childofthesun
Poll showing young Muslims hold more extreme views than parents-everyone jumps to talk about how young Muslims have an integration problem,are radicalised and will grow into terrorists

Poll showing majority of young Arabs(vast majority of whom will be Muslim) are against ISIS- here people are criticising the methodology and say it doesn't matter because at the end of the day if they follow Islam they may as well be supporting ISIS, and they may 'favour other terrorist groups like Boko haram and Al Qaeda', or focus on the 13% who say they might support IS if they were less violent.

It's quite clear to see how many people are prejudiced against Muslims,and will always come to conclusions that support their existing prejudice. Even when someone points out that the vast majority of young Arabs are against IS, people would rather point out nonsensical things like how not all Arabs are Muslims(no ****, but 90% are), or talk about how perhaps they still support other terrorist groups
:rolleyes:

So much bs here

I agree with you so much
Whenever there is a Questionnaire about common issues that Muslims are against and people don't like that and if you say, "One survey about supporting terrorism is not enough to show the views of all Muslims"
They reply with some mathematical thing of "The survey has a marginal error of 5% so this suvey is pretty much accurate. Do you not know how Surveys work?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's nice to see you at the thread, I assume you wanted to get inb4 the considerate and reasoned comments?

No, he's right.
Original post by Supersaps
The title of the article could be rephrased as

More than 1/5 of young arabs support the Islamic state.

Still shocking.

Actually, that's a point. It says 80% ruled out the possibility of joining ISIS, meaning 20% would consider it. That's around the same percentage of the voting-age population of the UK voted for the Labour Party lol! That's not even taking account that around 10% of Arabs aren't even Muslim so the percentage of young Muslim Arabs who would consider joining ISIS is - at least according to this study - likely higher than the proportion of Labour voters (the second most popular political party, of course) among the British voting-age population.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2015/results

http://www.idea.int/vt/countryview.cfm?id=77

Damn, OP, you really showed us

(edited 8 years ago)
Also... 19% of people could see themselves supporting ISIS in the GCC (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, and Oman). I would say that's quite a high percentage :gasp:

You missed out the bit where it says "If they were not so violent".

Unlikely, but if for example the IRA had renounced violence, it was always the case that support for Sinn Fein would rise and indeed it did when they did.
Original post by KimKallstrom
Actually, that's a point. It says 80% ruled out the possibility of joining ISIS, meaning 20% would consider it. That's around the same percentage of the voting-age population of the UK voted for the Labour Party lol! That's not even taking account that around 10% of Arabs aren't even Muslim so the percentage of young Muslim Arabs who would consider joining ISIS is - at least according to this study - likely higher than the proportion of Labour voters (the second most popular political party, of course) among the British voting-age population.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2015/results

http://www.idea.int/vt/countryview.cfm?id=77

Damn, OP, you really showed us

You're just making stuff up. It doesn't say anything about 'joining'. It says 'supporting' and 'if they were not so violent'. Quite a difference.
Original post by darkvibes
This. Polls, no matter how reliable those who conduct claim they are, are majorly misrepresentative. there's a reason why the media dont report on this, its because they are simply not reliable unless you're Fox news, and even they know better.

LMAO, Fox are always displaying polls that appear to support whatever right wing drivel they happen to be supporting on that particular day.

The reason for media silence on this is the usual one, that anything not supporting the right wing agenda of the overwhelmingly dominant right wing oligarchs that control nearly all of the published media is simply ignored.
You missed out the bit where it says "If they were not so violent".

Unlikely, but if for example the IRA had renounced violence, it was always the case that support for Sinn Fein would rise and indeed it did when they did.

You're right. ISIS would be such a humane, progressive and tolerant organisation if they were just a little less violent.
You're right. ISIS would be such a humane, progressive and tolerant organisation if they were just a little less violent.

Don't put words in my mouth. You know perfectly well I was referencing the phrase used in the poll, not something I dreamed up. Clearly it's ridiculously unlikely that IS are suddenly going to go all benign on us, so it's a pipe dream, but the question in the poll was phrased that way.
LMAO, Fox are always displaying polls that appear to support whatever right wing drivel they happen to be supporting on that particular day.

The reason for media silence on this is the usual one, that anything not supporting the right wing agenda of the overwhelmingly dominant right wing oligarchs that control nearly all of the published media is simply ignored.

Classic TSR really, just slaves to the polls that they are prepared to believe. The idiot who posted it repeatedly uses such polls to make an argument.

Remember, not many polls are made that do support the left wing agenda
Don't put words in my mouth. You know perfectly well I was referencing the phrase used in the poll, not something I dreamed up. Clearly it's ridiculously unlikely that IS are suddenly going to go all benign on us, so it's a pipe dream, but the question in the poll was phrased that way.

ignore the moron lol

That's what they all do, put words in your mouth to defabricate your argument and derail the thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending