The Student Room Group

Should I insure UCL or Warwick?

I have Cambridge down as my firm (A*A*AA) and I really don't know what to choose as my insurance. I originally also applied to UCL, Warwick, Bath and LSE and I now have all five offers. So far I've decided against LSE as I just don't think I'd enjoy it there for a variety of reasons, and Bath was always a fifth choice.

I always loved UCL and wasn't so keen on the campus atmosphere at Warwick, but recently I've been thinking that London might not be right for me as a student. I hope to go into banking so will be there after uni, and maybe it would be nice to be somewhere quieter for a few more years.

However I really can't choose, I can find advantages and disadvantages for both unis and every time I think I've decided, I just change my mind. Both offers are A*AA so that doesn't help either :s-smilie:
Original post by felecita
I have Cambridge down as my firm (A*A*AA) and I really don't know what to choose as my insurance. I originally also applied to UCL, Warwick, Bath and LSE and I now have all five offers. So far I've decided against LSE as I just don't think I'd enjoy it there for a variety of reasons, and Bath was always a fifth choice.

I always loved UCL and wasn't so keen on the campus atmosphere at Warwick, but recently I've been thinking that London might not be right for me as a student. I hope to go into banking so will be there after uni, and maybe it would be nice to be somewhere quieter for a few more years.

However I really can't choose, I can find advantages and disadvantages for both unis and every time I think I've decided, I just change my mind. Both offers are A*AA so that doesn't help either :s-smilie:

It sounds like you're preferring Warwick.

Very few students end up at their insurance choice (8% last year). I'd suggest comparing your chances of finding somewhere to live if you end up at your insurance - if you miss your firm grades and get rejected then adding on the disappointment of having nowhere to live and a stressful August/Sept finding somewhere privately and you are making an already upsetting situation worse.

UCL don't offer accommodation to insurance students: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation/application/eligibility/undergraduate
Warwick don't guarantee a room to insurance students but if you apply by 31 July then you're top of the priority list: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/apply/15/new/1ug (that's from last year but it's rare for this to change - if you're interested ring them up and ask how many insurance students were housed last year and if the priorities will carry through for 2016). (A LOT of insurance students don't check whether they need to apply or not and miss these deadlines so you're very likely to have somewhere to live in these situations)
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
It sounds like you're preferring Warwick.

Very few students end up at their insurance choice (8% last year). I'd suggest comparing your chances of finding somewhere to live if you end up at your insurance - if you miss your firm grades and get rejected then adding on the disappointment of having nowhere to live and a stressful August/Sept finding somewhere privately and you are making an already upsetting situation worse.

UCL don't offer accommodation to insurance students: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation/application/eligibility/undergraduate
Warwick don't guarantee a room to insurance students but if you apply by 31 July then you're top of the priority list: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/apply/15/new/1ug (that's from last year but it's rare for this to change - if you're interested ring them up and ask how many insurance students were housed last year and if the priorities will carry through for 2016). (A LOT of insurance students don't check whether they need to apply or not and miss these deadlines so you're very likely to have somewhere to live in these situations)

Accommodation was one of the reasons why I first started doubting UCL as an insurance, funnily enough. I think you're right with me preferring Warwick, I'm definitely leaning towards there now. With regards to the accommodation page you linked to Warwick, is it telling me to apply there for accommodation if I insure it? I think that's what it's telling me but just wanted to check.

Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it :h:

Same reasoning as to why I'm going for Warwick over UCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Accommodation was one of the reasons why I first started doubting UCL as an insurance, funnily enough. I think you're right with me preferring Warwick, I'm definitely leaning towards there now. With regards to the accommodation page you linked to Warwick, is it telling me to apply there for accommodation if I insure it? I think that's what it's telling me but just wanted to check.

Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it :h:

Yes they definitely want you to apply when they open in May and before July 31st (http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/apply/16/new-holding )
I was in exactly the same situation as you three years ago. I chose UCL on the basis of career prospect. Although in terms of prestige there is little difference between the two universities, but being in London does expose you to many more opportunities. On top of this you don't lose an entire day for every single interview you have.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending