The Student Room Group

Help with choosing A-levels

I understand that this is ultimately my decision alone to make, but I'd just like some advice from people who're either in the same situation as me or who have experience and/or more knowledge in the matter than I do. I'm trying to decide between physics or history (both in the same option block, hisss) and geography or maths. I'm definitely choosing chemistry and biology, but I'm not sure as to what to do for the other two I need to decide on. I'd really love to take maths, but I'm not sure if the workload, in addition to the science subjects I'm taking, will be too much to handle as opposed to geography. That said, is geography well respected as an A-level? I'd have thought that it'd be way too specific and frankly irrelevant, as I want to potentially pursue a career in the medical field. Is it seen as one of the 'easier' A-levels? In addition, I'm completely conflicted with the whole history-physics decision; I love history and enjoy it thoroughly, but I also love physics a lot too. Which would be the most advisble to take?
Geography is one of the facilitating A Level subjects, so it's not seen as 'easy'. It's also an essay based subject, and it takes a lot of work - it's not 'A Level Colouring In' as some non-geography students like to say :tongue:

However, for medicine I'd choose maths, because it would be more relevant than geography, and is often preferred by universities. Physics would also be more relevant than history for medicine (again, it is preferred), but history is also a strong subject and would offer you a break if you didn't want all of your subjects to be sciences :smile:
Do you want to do Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths?
I'm not saying this is a bad combination, I quite like the combination but it depends on your grades and what degree you want to do. For example, Cambridge recommends AS Level is Physics, and A Levels in Biology/Chemistry and of course other combinations of three sciences for their science Degree Courses. You can do a Science related degree at Cambridge only doing two sciences but it limits your options.
But at some Uni's you have to do Chemistry + Maths for a Chemistry degree
Original post by reinaadira
Do you want to do Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths?
I'm not saying this is a bad combination, I quite like the combination but it depends on your grades and what degree you want to do. For example, Cambridge recommends AS Level is Physics, and A Levels in Biology/Chemistry and of course other combinations of three sciences for their science Degree Courses. You can do a Science related degree at Cambridge only doing two sciences but it limits your options.
But at some Uni's you have to do Chemistry + Maths for a Chemistry degree

If you want to do something Medical Related like Medicine, why don't you look at the Univeristy requirements for Medicine?
Here are the requirements for Cambridge
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/medicine
They require A*A*A

Applicants must have AS or A Level passes in Chemistry and two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics. At least one pass must be at A Level. Most applicants for Medicine at Cambridge have at least three science/mathematics A Levels and some Colleges require this and/or particular subjects.

So Chemistry, Biology, Physics would be useful if you could do really good it them or Chemistry, Biology and Maths
I've got 3 offers from med schools and i did A2 Maths, bio and chem and AS geography
Bio, chem, history and maths might be a good choice as you have the sciences and maths which are suited to medicine and then you have history which shows you can put together an argument and will help you develop your essay, referencing skills etc. that you will need at uni.
Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
Okay, I need help. My sister, who got A* in her physics at GCSE, is now almost certainly gonna fail her first year. I'm predicted an A for GCSE, so I'm unsure what to change physics to. I'm planning on doing Maths, Physics, Computing and German. Physics would be useful, but I don't want to drop/be held back a year. The only other viable option would be Further Maths, but the problem with that is then its a lot of maths... If anyone could help, that'd be great! :smile:
Original post by The-Hof123
Okay, I need help. My sister, who got A* in her physics at GCSE, is now almost certainly gonna fail her first year. I'm predicted an A for GCSE, so I'm unsure what to change physics to. I'm planning on doing Maths, Physics, Computing and German. Physics would be useful, but I don't want to drop/be held back a year. The only other viable option would be Further Maths, but the problem with that is then its a lot of maths... If anyone could help, that'd be great! :smile:

Hey, i was considering doing Physics for A level if i get an a* in my gcse

why is she not doing as well now?

Further Maths is really hard, I know someone who got an a* in gcse maths, an a in a level maths, and an e in further maths
Original post by reinaadira
Hey, i was considering doing Physics for A level if i get an a* in my gcse

why is she not doing as well now?

Further Maths is really hard, I know someone who got an a* in gcse maths, an a in a level maths, and an e in further maths

Teachers mainly, but also partly mental breakdowns. :frown: and yeah, I know, that's why I'm not sure about doing Further maths. With the teachers. I might get a better one. For our school each subject, you get 2 teachers for a levels. So she has Dr. Morse who is AMAZING, but she also has Stevo, who is terrible. She has 2 hours of Morse, and 3 hours of Stevo. She had a good teacher instead of Stevo, but the teacher was pregnant. I might get lucky, but I also might not. I dunno :'(
Help with choosing A-levels?

I have one word of advice, kiddo.

Don't.
I would suggest doing all maths and science subjects, maybe im biased but i think they're quite respected subjects for what you want to do. Ultimately you should go with a blend of what you need and what you enjoy, but i would definitely say maths and science would be the favourite for higher end universities. seeing as youre already doing chemistry and biology (which is good) i think maths would certainly be a great addition to those subjects.
Original post by Rasputin3
I understand that this is ultimately my decision alone to make, but I'd just like some advice from people who're either in the same situation as me or who have experience and/or more knowledge in the matter than I do. I'm trying to decide between physics or history (both in the same option block, hisss) and geography or maths. I'm definitely choosing chemistry and biology, but I'm not sure as to what to do for the other two I need to decide on. I'd really love to take maths, but I'm not sure if the workload, in addition to the science subjects I'm taking, will be too much to handle as opposed to geography. That said, is geography well respected as an A-level? I'd have thought that it'd be way too specific and frankly irrelevant, as I want to potentially pursue a career in the medical field. Is it seen as one of the 'easier' A-levels? In addition, I'm completely conflicted with the whole history-physics decision; I love history and enjoy it thoroughly, but I also love physics a lot too. Which would be the most advisble to take?

You should choose what you enjoy but if you are going into medicine you should probably do maths so I would say maths and geography as the geography is still a strong subject but gives you a break from maths and science

Quick Reply

Latest