Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to help a friend with depression and anxiety due to exams

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Hi All,

My friend is going through a rough patch at the moment. Well, actually, things have been bad all year but now more than ever with exams in weeks.

We are 16, about to take our exams and she is under high pressure to do exceptionally well while reciving very little support from teachers. She has spoken to guidance but they have offered nothing more than that because they refuse to listen.

This week she saying that she hates herself, and has a lot on her plate trying to get polios and tests completed. Time is very short for us both and I'm worried that it is going to get too much for her, particular in the next few weeks. I don't want her to shut down, I swear she's already ill. But up to now I have felt unable to offer more than a hug or just listen.

I need help, please, and urgetly. Anything that might help me help her. Thank you.

she needs to go to see a GP who has a special interest in young people/mental health issues - you can't be responsible for her beyond offering a supportive ear - you have your own stresses too with exams coming up. Young Minds has some good stuff on their website and a helpline which I've used in the past. You are a kind and good person - but try to look after yourself too.

As someone else said her GP would be the best person to see if she can, try and encourage her to see them and speak to her parents or someone too if she thinks they'd be supportive. For someone that she can talk about anything to you could suggest the samaritans as well. Other than that, the best you can do is make sure she knows you're always there to listen to her and help if you can. If you can encourage her to be eating, sleeping and taking time out to relax regularly (things like colouring, online jigsaws etc can be good) that's also great but you need to be looking after yourself too. Your and her health are far more important than exams however it may feel. Hope things get better for you both soon and they go okay though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there, sorry to hear about you and your friend :-( I think what you two are doing is putting a lot of pressure on yourselves when you really dont need to. Sure its great to get all A*/A's but its seriously okay ifyou dont have all of that. I went through the same thing and self harmed, contimplated life etc etc lol but you need to tell someone. Expect your friend to hate you for a week or so but its whats best for her.

GP or childline if she needs someone to talk to. Good for you for being supportive. I think she should tlak to someone though, although I dont think theres much that can be done.

Talking and relaxing is good.
    Going for a walk and exercising good.
    being well organised and managing your workload helps.

presumably her parents arent aware. If she cna she needs to make a pacct with herself thanshe need to work hard for the next month and then she cna relax, so she just needs that last push. If she gets stressed, then it doesnt do her any good, so the only target she has is to try her best. Plan fun times for after and take regular breaks now.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What were/are your predicted grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.