The Student Room Group

Application questions

Hello peeps, Ive got his app, and it asks these questions and I was wondering if my answers will be good enough?.

1) Please tell me about a time when you needed to be responsible?

I had to be responsible, when my family went abroad with out me and I had to look after the house by my self for
2weeks.

2)Please tell me about a time when you had to communicate with someone who was upset or difficult.

I had to tell my friend that her dad died in a accident, and she got upset and i comforted her by speaking
to her calmly and giving her shoulder to cry on.

3) Please tell me about a time you have been honest.

My mum asked me if she looked old, and i was honest and said yes.

Any suggestions?
Reply 1
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

that looks like a joke to me, it doesnt look/sound as though you are serious....at alll

make things abit longer and in detail and always include why and how that would make you good at the job, a shoulder to cry on? are you applying to a shop where they sell shoulders? or will there be people crying everywhere?

comeon dudeeeeeeeeeeee
Reply 2
I'm going to assume you're being serious on the basis that if you're joking then you don't need any advice at all.

Those are very bad answers. Firstly because they're massively short. You need to explain what sort of responsibility you demonstrated, and say something substantial. They almost certainly want a paragraph rather than a single sentence. Secondly your examples sound pretty week. Is looking after the house while your parents were away really the most responsibility you've ever had? If so, then at least make it sound like a big deal, explain why it was such a responsibility and how you coped with it. I'd strongly recommend you think of something else though - what about some kind of responsibility at school? If you've been in charge of anything, looked after anyone else, anything of that sort, put it down. You can certainly make it sound much more impressive than looking after the house!

Your second example sounds stronger (except for the shoulder to cry on bit) - except that it's a very sensitive example. If you can think of something they'd be more likely to ask you questions about it might help (for example if you've given someone bad news that's less serious, or given someone who's not a close friend some news). Again, situations involving people you don't know (or in fact someone other than "a friend") would always sound better.

I have trouble believing that you final example isn't a joke. But again, if it's not, then I hope you at least realise that it's a very bad example. Telling your mum she looks old doesn't demonstrate honesty, it demonstrates that you know how to be rude to your mum. You need to think of a situation where it would be possible for you to have been dishonest to some reasonably serious consequence but where you've instead been completely honest. It certainly needs to be much more significant.

Just to sum up - if you submit an application form for anything looking like your example then I am sure you won't get the job. You need to extend your answers and change your examples to things they'll find relevant. I know it's hard if you haven't had a job before or have little experience, and I'm sure they'll recognise that, but at the moment it looks like you've put no effort in whatsoever.
Reply 3
Is that an application form for tesco by any chance?
It was abit of a joke.

How about these ones?

1) Please tell me about a time when you needed to be responsibe?
I needed to be responsable when my parents & brother went away for 1week, and I had to look after my brothers son who is 4, which in insisted of
looking after the house, making sure its secure when going out and taking care of my brothers son.

2)Please tell me about a time when you had to communicate with someone who was upset or difficult.
I went to party and my mate got really drunk, and started being very aggressive with everyone, and getting angry and upset.
And i could see it was ruining every body's evening at the party, so i spoke to my mate who was drunk and told him its best if he went home
and offered him a lift home, because i wasn't drinking. he no and was refusing to go. so i made up we were going to a another better party
so he would get into the car. In the end he did, and it was a long drive and he fell asleep and i took him home.

3) Please tell me about a time you have been honest.In college there were TV remotes being stolen all over the 3rd floor and couple of times I saw the same person putting the remotes in his bag.
So I had to be honest and told the technicians office what i saw, and they dealt with that individual.
The second one starts out well, but then you resolve the problem by lying about what you're going to do - I don't think that's what the employer will be looking for.
Reply 6
ClIcKFuTuRe2006

3) Please tell me about a time you have been honest.

My mum asked me if she looked old, and i was honest and said yes.

Any suggestions?

Sarcasm?
Reply 7
la_banane_verte
The second one starts out well, but then you resolve the problem by lying about what you're going to do - I don't think that's what the employer will be looking for.

I'm not convinced even by the start - "I went to a party and my mate was really drunk" makes it sound like the only time you'd ever think to do anything important is while you're drinking lots at a party. It's not a bad example, but you need to word it differently.

The first one seems fairly decent, but again it could do with a little bit of rewording - set up the situation first, then explain why you needed to be responsible.

The third one still seems very weak to me - perhaps its just the wording because I imagine that an employer should want to employ someone who would be honest about fellow employees - but the way you've written it makes it sound very childish.

Incidentally, I hope you'll rewrite all of these with proper spelling, grammar and sentence structure? You're far, far, far more likely to get a job if it reads well and makes you look slightly intelligent.

Latest

Trending

Trending