The Student Room Group

OCR A2 English Lang Language and Speech help?

I'd really appreciate some help here.

I moved to a new sixth form last September and changed exam board for English Language having done my AS on AQA elsewhere, I am now sitting A2 on OCR and have little to no idea what I'm doing.
I have two teachers, one for one lesson a week and the other for three. We've been mainly doing coursework up to this point with my main teacher and have only lately touched on actual exam content of the section A Language and Speech stuff, but he ends every lesson with "but it's okay if you don't need this, it's not necessary for the exam". So I'm not sure what I'm supposed to know? We don't have an actual topic list or anything if you know what I mean?
I've seen the exam questions and I know what they look like but we've never attempted one. From what I gather, OCR are a bit wordy with their specifications so I can't seem to find a general list of topics I should be learning/revising. We've done some theory but I'm not confident on a lot of it and it seems to be pretty specific to certain topic areas, like language in education or media.

With my other teacher we've been doing the other half of the exam and looking at Power and Identity and I love it and am very confident with it. They're saying they expect me to achieve an A/A* at the end of the year but I'm so stuck on the other unit.

Long story short, does anyone have a topic list for this unit or have any resources in terms of what I should be revising? I'd really appreciate any advice with this if anyone else has found it difficult.
So the exam consists of two sections: section A is compulsory and you can then chose between sections B and D.

Section A: is testing your knowledge on spoken language. So you'll need to know about Recieved Pronunciation (RP); variation in RP, establishment of RP etc. Esturary English (EE) is something that would be good if you can write about it but in my opinion you don't have to look so deeply into it. You need to know how things sound in your mouth so you need to know your vowel chart, consonants and placing of articulation, segmental phonology etc.
Finally, it is crucial that you know your linguists. Key linguists would include Alan Ross (1956), A.C. Gimson (1962), John Wells (1982) - these all link to RP. You'll need to know who coined the term EE, David Rosewarne (1980s). You'll need to have basic knowledge of language studies- William Labov (New York department stores, 1962), K. Malcolm Petyt (h-dropping, 1985).

Section B: is concerned with language in popular written texts; this can range from novels to poems, or text books to online reviews. Our aim is to explain why certain language features have been placed, for example, it is likely for there to be multiple colloquialisms in an online review because it is informal and the writer wants to relate to relate to the reader.

Section D: wants us to focus on language, power and identity. So you want to talk about different features in male and female language (if it is relevant), different types of power (instrumental and influential) and how the writer can use these to convince the reader.

Section B and D doesn't require you to write about theorists, however it will defiantly boost your marks if you include further reading.
I hope this helped :h:

if you have any more questions or want some resources, just drop me a message.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by whothefu_isalice
So the exam consists of two sections: section A is compulsory and you can then chose between sections B and D.

Section A: is testing your knowledge on spoken language. So you'll need to know about Recieved Pronunciation (RP); variation in RP, establishment of RP etc. Esturary English (EE) is something that would be good if you can write about it but in my opinion you don't have to look so deeply into it. You need to know how things sound in your mouth so you need to know your vowel chart, consonants and placing of articulation, segmental phonology etc.
Finally, it is crucial that you know your linguists. Key linguists would include Alan Ross (1956), A.C. Gimson (1962), John Wells (1982) - these all link to RP. You'll need to know who coined the term EE, David Rosewarne (1980s). You'll need to have basic knowledge of language studies- William Labov (New York department stores, 1962), K. Malcolm Petyt (h-dropping, 1985).

Section B: is concerned with language in popular written texts; this can range from novels to poems, or text books to online reviews. Our aim is to explain why certain language features have been placed, for example, it is likely for there to be multiple colloquialisms in an online review because it is informal and the writer wants to relate to relate to the reader.

Section D: wants us to focus on language, power and identity. So you want to talk about different features in male and female language (if it is relevant), different types of power (instrumental and influential) and how the writer can use these to convince the reader.

Section B and D doesn't require you to write about theorists, however it will defiantly boost your marks if you include further reading.
I hope this helped :h:

if you have any more questions or want some resources, just drop me a message.

Thank you so much for this! It was really helpful. I'll send you a message.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending