Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Confused about signals from my best friend

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

*I've seen there's several posts already here about best friends etc etc, but they don't seem to cover my situation so bear with me here, might be a long one...*

Basically, we're at uni, and I met my best friend when we started 4 1/2 years ago, after maybe a year I developed feelings for her and told her how I felt but got shot down. I took a break from being round her a lot for nearly half a year to try and sort it out and on the whole, it was a success. She ended in a relationship with another guy (they're still going) and we just went back to being good friends again.

Skip forward to the last few days, and Saturday night she came round to watch a film, which turned into two, then she happened to stay the night and all night she was "provocative" (Ain't sure if this is the right word, but still) we ended up spooning, leg wrapped over me, hands all over my chest etc, but nothing actually happened. Monday afternoon after we'd been gym she starts messaging me about it saying she "doesn't know what would've happened if she didn't have a boyfriend" and that she was "very close to breaking her integrity" and was "very confused". There was also "I don't understand my feelings for you this time round..." thrown in for good measure.

We met up that evening for a walk to talk things through and she was telling me how unhappy she was with her boyfriend and that she was seriously considering breaking up with him. She was saying "how amazing I am", stuff like that but then, after everything from Saturday night, "I don't want to ruin our friendship if we ended up together and it didn't work out"

Then this evening, she comes round, we watched some TV and she's quite touchy again, not anywhere near the same level as the Saturday night, but still more than she ever really has to me, and past the boundaries of friendship IMHO.

So yeah, throwing this out there to you people, see what you make of this, any advice/comments etc

You need to ask her to come out straight with her feelings because it's not great for you if she is sending mixed signals.. But from how it sounds she has some sort of feelings for you, make sure that she is out of the relationship before anything does happen because it's imperative to respect the relationship, even though she doesn't seem to be:/.
    If she isn't happy, I hope she makes the right choice and you have the chance to make her feel good.
    Best of luck with it
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.