The Student Room Group

Moving up a grade

Hey I got BBB for my AS levels and I was wondering if it is possible to get AAA at A2, my teachers have predicted me to get A*AA so obviously they think it is possible but I was just wondering if anyone has done the same before?? Or has anyone moved up a grade or two and has a success story to share :smile: thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Revision techniques vary from subject to subject.

I may be able to help if you if you tell me what subjects do you do. :h:
Reply 2
Original post by undercxver
Revision techniques vary from subject to subject.

I may be able to help if you if you tell me what subjects do you do. :h:

History law and English :smile:
Original post by Katielk97
History law and English :smile:

I have tips for history...

Using a Text Book:

Use textbooks to create your own little revision guide. Don't just copy out what the book says, your your comprehension skills to write out your notes in a way that suits you. This way when you read back you wouldn't feel the need to take longer to grasp what has been stated. Go through the book chapter by chapter. Make your notes as detailed, but no too detailed. All you need to make sure is if your notes encounter what the course specification entails.

If you find it effective, you can read these notes on the morning before he exam.

This method is preferred to be used when you have a good amount of time till the exams, so you'll be able to fit in your past paper revision too.

5 Minutes to Spare Revision:

This 5 minute revision technique is something to do when you're feeling as if you lack knowledge on the content of your course with the use of your notes or text book.

Read through one section/page of your text book

Close the book; speak to yourself about what that section includes

Open the book, check if correct

If correct move on to next page, if incorrect then repeat steps

Condensing Content/Speeding up Revision:

Summarise the content of each module on one sheet of paper and memorise this

Condense events into 3 bullet points (linking with the point above)

Make a list of significant events and their dates and highlight each one you manage to remember

Do every single past paper question

Plan your essays with bullet points within a minute

Time yourself when doing essays

Practice writing really fast

If you're struggling with content then go through a revision book.

If teachers tell you some sort of prediction I suggest you don't go by it and revise everything!

Source Questions:

Not sure what specification or exam board you're doing, if it includes source questions then here are some tips.

You need to consider the following things:

Purpose: What's the purpose of the source? (e.g. to inform, to describe etc.)

Author: Who's the author of the source? Does this make them biased in any way?

Nature: What type of source is it? (e.g. book, report, article etc.)

Date: When was it published? Does the date have any significance? Is it outdated?

Audience: Who was the audience? How did it impact them? [this one isn't neccessary]

General questions to ask yourself:

How useful is the source?

Did the author/writer omit anything?

Is there any bias? -Why is there bias? How is it neutral?

AS Level/A Level History Exam Answer Structure:

Again, not sure which exam board you're doing. This is specifically for the old AQA specification. However, same structure may be applicable.

Spoiler

Some revision methods can be used for Law. Not sure about English, sorry. :K:
Reply 4
Original post by undercxver
I have tips for history...

Using a Text Book:

Use textbooks to create your own little revision guide. Don't just copy out what the book says, your your comprehension skills to write out your notes in a way that suits you. This way when you read back you wouldn't feel the need to take longer to grasp what has been stated. Go through the book chapter by chapter. Make your notes as detailed, but no too detailed. All you need to make sure is if your notes encounter what the course specification entails.

If you find it effective, you can read these notes on the morning before he exam.

This method is preferred to be used when you have a good amount of time till the exams, so you'll be able to fit in your past paper revision too.

5 Minutes to Spare Revision:

This 5 minute revision technique is something to do when you're feeling as if you lack knowledge on the content of your course with the use of your notes or text book.

Read through one section/page of your text book

Close the book; speak to yourself about what that section includes

Open the book, check if correct

If correct move on to next page, if incorrect then repeat steps

Condensing Content/Speeding up Revision:

Summarise the content of each module on one sheet of paper and memorise this

Condense events into 3 bullet points (linking with the point above)

Make a list of significant events and their dates and highlight each one you manage to remember

Do every single past paper question

Plan your essays with bullet points within a minute

Time yourself when doing essays

Practice writing really fast

If you're struggling with content then go through a revision book.

If teachers tell you some sort of prediction I suggest you don't go by it and revise everything!

Source Questions:

Not sure what specification or exam board you're doing, if it includes source questions then here are some tips.

You need to consider the following things:

Purpose: What's the purpose of the source? (e.g. to inform, to describe etc.)

Author: Who's the author of the source? Does this make them biased in any way?

Nature: What type of source is it? (e.g. book, report, article etc.)

Date: When was it published? Does the date have any significance? Is it outdated?

Audience: Who was the audience? How did it impact them? [this one isn't neccessary]

General questions to ask yourself:

How useful is the source?

Did the author/writer omit anything?

Is there any bias? -Why is there bias? How is it neutral?

AS Level/A Level History Exam Answer Structure:

Again, not sure which exam board you're doing. This is specifically for the old AQA specification. However, same structure may be applicable.

Spoiler

Some revision methods can be used for Law. Not sure about English, sorry. :K:

Thank you!! That will help a lot I'm sure ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest