The Student Room Group

3rd class honours degree

Hi

I qualified as general nurse with 3rd class degree. I started the course in 2010 and was stepped down for sickness for two years in my final year. By the time I got another final placement and re-enrolled I only had 3 months to complete 4 assignments, full time placement and dissertation, and still manage part time job to support myself. NMC only gives 5 yrs to complete the course.
Within these three months I had death in my family and had to travel to help with funeral arrangements.
Long story short, it soon became obvious that I can either take the opportunity to use the latest submission dates (meaning the worst pass grades and therefore 3rd class degree) or I would have no qualification at all. It was simply impossible to complete everything in time with good grades and still be sane.

And so I qualified with this poor result even though I am in fact very grateful for it!

I wanted to continue with masters in psychology related course but I am in difficulties now with my grades. Would any university look at me as perspective student at all?

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Elinka1
Hi

I qualified as general nurse with 3rd class degree. I started the course in 2010 and was stepped down for sickness for two years in my final year. By the time I got another final placement and re-enrolled I only had 3 months to complete 4 assignments, full time placement and dissertation, and still manage part time job to support myself. NMC only gives 5 yrs to complete the course.
Within these three months I had death in my family and had to travel to help with funeral arrangements.
Long story short, it soon became obvious that I can either take the opportunity of the latest submission dates (meaning the worst pass grades and therefore 3rd class degree) or I would have no qualification at all. It was simply impossible to complete everything in time with good grades and still be sane.

And so I qualified with this poor results even though I am in fact very grateful for it!

I wanted to continue with masters in psychology related course but I am in difficulties now with my grades. Would any university look at me as perspective student at all?

Thanks

Hope it works for you.
Not sure, maybe if you explain the situation convincingly. Life has been unfair to you and maybe they could see that too. Thats pretty optimistic. Would definitely start contacting people in the know about this.
It may depend on what you mean by a masters in a Psychology related area and what you want to do in terms of future career. If you're staying with nursing, then you don't need the Master's now (you'll need it later on for band 7/8 level, but by then your trust should help you get on). If you're looking to transition to Psychology then the honest answer is that it is probably impossible in your current circumstances.

If you're looking to gain BPS accreditation (i.e. conversion masters) then they will have a minimum criteria and the lowest I can see that being is 2:2; though contacting courses directly would be advisable. I'm not sure what the Open University would want? If you're looking for a general Psychology masters, then it may depend on how closely aligned it is with the BPS; for example, a Forensic Psychology masters will require you to have BPS accreditation and a 2:1, whereas others will have lower requirements.

If you can't get the conversion or masters in this way, then perhaps completing a Psychology BSc? It's a more expensive and longer route, but if you're set on it, then it is probably your only real option.

Quick Reply

Latest