Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I stop being needy?

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

My boyfriend and I have been together for about 3 months and usually see each other every day because we do the same course at uni and are in the same friendship group (we don't really act coupley at uni because that would make it very full on).
    It is currently the Easter holidays and we haven't seen each other for nearly three weeks. I have missed him A LOT (more than I thought I would, which I think gave me a bit of a shock) and actually found it really difficult being apart from him.
    For the past two weeks he has been on holiday in America with his family, which made it even more difficult because of the time difference and how busy his days have been. We haven't been able to talk a lot but we have had the odd message each day saying what we're both up to that day and we have FaceTimed once.
    I have found myself getting upset/annoyed/emotional when I don't hear from him often or when he has been too busy to FaceTime. I have always been a pretty secure person and before the holidays I was never needy like this, our relationship was pretty laid back and both of us knew how the other felt and was 100% comfortable with it.
    I haven't said any of this to my boyfriend, I have just quietly worried anout why he hasn't replied or why he's taken so long to reply, why he cancelled a FaceTime with me, constantly checking when he was last online etc. I don't want to speak to him about it because I know he will be upset and feel really guilty that I was feeling like this.
    I don't want to be needy like this and I hope once back at uni that things will be back to normal, but then I don't want to be constantly upset whenever we are apart. How can i feel more secure in or relationship when we're not together and how can i be less needy?

Being needy is natural particularly at the early stages of a relationship.

oh, the days of the honeymoon phase

be glad you havent got a military man, if your needy with this one

I think you need to keep yourself busy?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.