The Student Room Group

english/media joint honours

I want to do a degree in both English language and media (joint honours) but I don't know anyone who's done that before can anyone tell me how it's like to study the two courses in uni? what to expect etc.
I've studied both in college but I don't think it's the same
Original post by Raaal
I want to do a degree in both English language and media (joint honours) but I don't know anyone who's done that before can anyone tell me how it's like to study the two courses in uni? what to expect etc.
I've studied both in college but I don't think it's the same

I'm a bit weary that you "think" it's not the same! Of course they are not the same. I personally don't have a clue what Media involves - I know the basis; the study of different platforms of mediums such as film, TV, radio, etc. You don't study any of that in English Literature. You do, however might study a bit of radio in English Language as part of speech and conversations and so forth.

Studying two subjects is a lot more harder than a single honor degree. The reason I say this is because at uni, you are required to know A LOT about the subject and you wrote extremely differently in two separate disciplines.

English Language at uni can be two things: the conventions of language (how it's used in different contexts and situations [conversations between two adults; an adult and child, sociological dialect and accents]) and the scientific study of language which is linguistics (grammar, where we store words in our brain, bilingualism, etc). I think the former is more suited to media as that has more of an "everyday" feel to it. Language is all about how we use it and language around us and linguistics is more about how language is formed via grammar or how we understand it.

I suggest doing some research on unis and the modules they provide and see which ones you prefer. I personally prefer linguistics as that's a bit more to do with psychology and the mind. Whereas, Language is a bit like sociology and anthropology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending