The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Careers at Bath - My Perspective

Hi all,

My name is Hayden and I am a first year International Management student at the University of Bath.
A part of university life that many prospective students tend to overlook is the career opportunities. Career networking opportunities can be just as exciting as social activities with your friends. The University of Bath does a great job of offering career opportunities to students, therefore I decided to share my experiences with you.·

Careers Office At the careers office students are able to book appointments to meet with careers advisers. This could be for career development advice,CV or cover letter writing, mock interviews, finding a placement, discussing career options and many more topics. I have met with the careers advisers to discuss my CV and a job offer that I received. There is plenty of information available in the careers office, with files of useful documents to help with your career searching. All of the staff are very kind and approachable, making it a great place to go for some quick advice.

Campus Events Here at Bath we have a number of employers visit us on campus, this could be for an informal chat outside the library or a networking event. In many of the events food and drink is provided free of charge and there is the opportunity to meet the recruitment team of different businesses and also make friends. I have been to many careers events and really enjoy them. Other employers offer skills courses, for example how to write a CV, how to pass an interview and how to create a good LinkedIn profile. The opportunity to get information from those who will be reading our applications is a great opportunity. The careers service also offer skills sessions, I attended an assessment center workshop for example which I would recommend. Our careers fair was one of my favourite experiences, where you could meet many employers in a short space of time. By meeting employers, you can get a taste of the businesses you fit in to, as all businesses have different cultures.

Online Services Through the universities online system career opportunities are very easily accessible.Practice questions are available, industry specific and general recruitment information as well as opportunities for summer internships and graduate jobs for example. When I am looking for my placement year this feature will be particularly useful.

Course Specific As anInternational Management student we have personal development sessions once a week in the second semester. These consist of presentations for our course specific careers team and employers. This is great as our Management Suite careers team understand exactly what we are looking for as a Management student. ForInternational Management we have our own placements officer who is happy to meet with us and I am always in touch with. Different courses offer different support, it is worth checking out what you are able to get!

PwC One of my most recent experiences was the PwC Talent Academy. I applied for a place on the Talent Academy in October and completed an online test, telephone interview and assessment center in order to obtain a place. This is a long process, however as a first year student the more interview and application experience you can get the better. TheTalent Academy is a residential event in a hotel where PwC educate us about what a career with PwC involves.

On the first day we had a number of introduction sessions, we also had the opportunity to focus on elective choices. I chose to focus on sustainability and commercial awareness, where sustainability was on my first day. Finally, we had dinner with partners,allowing us to get a further insight of what the job involves. In-between sessions and over dinner I had the opportunity to network with other students and made a number of friends. Making contacts and creating a network is an essential part of building a career, the Talent Academy certainly supported me in this. On the second day we had a skills session where we looked at what skills PwC employees require, I attended my second elective in commercial awareness and we ended the Talent Academy with a debate.

Overall the opportunity to present, share ideas and work with other students and PwC employees is a very useful experience. My experience with PwC has been brilliant,I hope that prospective and existing students will maximise every career opportunity available!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending