The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Kent uni or Sussex uni?

I will be studying anthropology and have trying to decide between the two for about 4 months. Lots of people tell me it's a no-brainer as I have an unconditional from Sussex but not Kent. Falmer is beautiful, Brighton is amazing and the course is nice, too.And the unconditional- I suffer with anxiety and so this is ideal as much of my anxiety is based around stress which is more prevalent in exam time.
However something is holding me back from firming Sussex and frankly I don't know what it is. Kent was originally my favourite uni until Sussex offered me an unconditional, and then I began to consider them more seriously. I prefer some aspects of the anthro course at Kent (the flexibility and the fact that I know other courses they do if I wanted to change) except according to stats, Sussex seems further ahead. I love the student support at Kent however I am not aware of what it is like in Sussex. I love the idea of vibrant Brighton but also I love the charm of Canterbury. My boyfriend is also going to Kent and whilst this is not a determining factor, I am being holistic, however I am not sure if it would be better to go to a different uni or the same one.
Has anyone got any info on either of this unis that may persuade/ dissuade me on one of them, or any opinions on what I should do? Any help would be much appreciated now as I am entirely stuck, thank you.
Reply 1
You should trust your gut
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by OliviaCarter
I will be studying anthropology and have trying to decide between the two for about 4 months. Lots of people tell me it's a no-brainer as I have an unconditional from Sussex but not Kent. Falmer is beautiful, Brighton is amazing and the course is nice, too.And the unconditional- I suffer with anxiety and so this is ideal as much of my anxiety is based around stress which is more prevalent in exam time.
However something is holding me back from firming Sussex and frankly I don't know what it is. Kent was originally my favourite uni until Sussex offered me an unconditional, and then I began to consider them more seriously. I prefer some aspects of the anthro course at Kent (the flexibility and the fact that I know other courses they do if I wanted to change) except according to stats, Sussex seems further ahead. I love the student support at Kent however I am not aware of what it is like in Sussex. I love the idea of vibrant Brighton but also I love the charm of Canterbury. My boyfriend is also going to Kent and whilst this is not a determining factor, I am being holistic, however I am not sure if it would be better to go to a different uni or the same one.
Has anyone got any info on either of this unis that may persuade/ dissuade me on one of them, or any opinions on what I should do? Any help would be much appreciated now as I am entirely stuck, thank you.

I'm going to Uni for the second time, and also had to choose between Kent and Sussex (except for Computer Science with AI). My experience tells me that the stats don't matter so much as you might think. The overwhelming difference in how well you do is down to you alone. This is because even on relatively intensive courses you are going to spend the vast majority of the time engaged in private study and research, and how well you study and how hard you apply yourself are therefore the biggest determining factors in how much you get out of Uni, in terms of both grades and skills.

As long as there isn't a world of difference between how the Unis are rated for your particular course, then I would suggest you go with whichever you personally preferred the feel of, and whichever makes it easier to deal with your personal life. Your personal life isn't going to cease whilst you are at Uni, and the quality of it will likely have a big impact on your ability to study (speaking as someone who also suffers from strong anxiety).

Given that you seem to have at some doubts about your course (you mentioned that you might want to change) then it might indeed be a good call to give yourself as much flexibility as possible.

That's my advice. But only you can choose! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending