Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Is English Baccalaureate worth it?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I am in the process of choosing my GCSE topics for year 10, If you don't know. The government are pushing schools to encourage the students to pick the English Baccalaureate pathway, there's a regular pathway, Geography OR History and then you can choose from the business, media, Ict subjects.
    And then theres the EBACC pathway, were you have the option to choose Geography OR History and a modern foreign language, In my school the only MFL we have available is FRENCH. I've heard the teachers say the EBACC route is more for the students that wish to continue their education into university, as the EBACC route will help you get accepted into universities.

I don't honestly know what to believe, I have done my own research, but is what my school telling me correct? I absoloutly hate French, I know I'm not going to do good in it, but they keep pressuring me.
    Please help. Is it worth it? Is it going to help me with my university?

Just to put it out, I am planning to persue a career in Dentistry, I am 13 and I know everything I need to know to achieve my aspiration, I know university Is very important to me, so all answers are appreciated.

what did you decide? is EBacc so important?

If you hate French and feel that you would do badly don't take it. The EBacc is more important for schools than it is for students - this is why your school is pushing it. Yes, some universities like it but they like excellent grades in other subjects just as much.

If you hate something don't take it. Your only going to do good in things you really like (unless you really push yourself to learn a subject you don't like).

Do what you think is right. Honestly doing one language doesn't change much as most people don't use it in their A levels. Remember only do what you think is right for your career. Personally I would pick the regular pathway and try to excel in that.

UCL forces you to have a MFL GCSE C if you want to study there, and if you don't have one, they make you take it at Uni. But apart from that, no other uni cares about EBacc. You cant go wrong though if you do the Ebacc (apart from maybe not enjoying youself)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.