The Student Room Group

What A Levels are good for law

i'm only 13 but really intrested in law, ive just chosen my gcse's lately

I'm thinking about continuing with History and Philosophy/Ethics at a level

but now would a science like biology or maths be reasonable ?
Which is better economics or politics ?
Any other good a levels subjects that put you in good stead for law entrance tests, application forms and studying law at university ?

I would appreciate any advice on choices please !

(GCSEs;
maths,english lang,english lit,biology,chemistry,physics,history,philosophy/ethics,geography & statistics)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:biggrin:
Reply 2
English, Classics, History, Psychology are some
Reply 3
Original post by vn2410
i'm only 13 but really intrested in law, ive just chosen my gcse's lately

I'm thinking about continuing with History and Philosophy/Ethics at a level

but now would a science like biology or maths be reasonable ?
Which is better economics or politics ?
Any other good a levels subjects that put you in good stead for law entrance tests, application forms and studying law at university ?

I would appreciate any advice on choices please !

(GCSEs;
maths,english lang,english lit,biology,chemistry,physics,history,philosophy/ethics,geography & statistics)

You can really do any A-levels you want.

Although for good prep A-levels like English, History, Politics and Philosophy are the best.

That said they're not requirements. Do what you enjoy, so if chemistry is you're passion - do that!
Have a look for the required A-levels on a university website :smile:
I know someone who wants to do law and he's doing maths, physics and history (law degrees aren't picky with what subjects you pick).
Business always goes well with law and it's a very popular subject to combine at university.
Reply 7
Original post by GeorgeB16
Business always goes well with law and it's a very popular subject to combine at university.

i'm considering business but just thinking that, becuase my school doesn't offer it at gcse then, would it be harder ?
Reply 8
Original post by jamestg
You can really do any A-levels you want.

Although for good prep A-levels like English, History, Politics and Philosophy are the best.

That said they're not requirements. Do what you enjoy, so if chemistry is you're passion - do that!

Thanks, i appriciate your time and effort
Any strong subjects would be good. Maths/Sciences are good but you need some essay subjects too.

I would advise against taking Business A Level, since it's not considered to be a strong subject.
Reply 10
Original post by M14B
English, Classics, History, Psychology are some

My school doesn't offer psychology and i don't enjoy classics, however yes i'll consider english and history - thanks
Reply 11
Original post by anonwinner
Any strong subjects would be good. Maths/Sciences are good but you need some essay subjects too.

I would advise against taking Business A Level, since it's not considered to be a strong subject.

so are you saying a mixture would be valued ?

History
Philosophy/Ethics
Maths

especially as i'm taking statistics and kind of enjoy maths, would it be an advantage at a level with a gcse in statistics ? Would it help

which would be better biology or maths ?

Thanks for your time
Original post by vn2410
so are you saying a mixture would be valued ?

History
Philosophy/Ethics
Maths

especially as i'm taking statistics and kind of enjoy maths, would it be an advantage at a level with a gcse in statistics ? Would it help

which would be better biology or maths ?

Thanks for your time

That combination looks perfect. Maths would be better than Biology.

And yes, GCSE Statistics would help with A Level Maths
Original post by vn2410
i'm considering business but just thinking that, becuase my school doesn't offer it at gcse then, would it be harder ?

Not at all, you will be doing the new spec which I'm doing by the time you get to year 12. There are people in my class who had never studied it at GCSE and also, only a fraction of it is stuff previously learnt. Most of it is new
Reply 14
Any more for any more ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
What's better politics or economics ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
What's better politics or economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do English Lit,History, Biology , so there's that
Lolz you're 13 and worrying about this stuff 😂
Reply 19
Original post by OddFuturez
I do English Lit,History, Biology , so there's that

Are you applying for law, or where are you studying law next year ?

What are common a levels ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest