The Student Room Group

ODP or Dental Nursing?

Hi, I am not sure if i should do a 2 year Diphe Operating department practice course or become a trainee Dental nurse (12-18 months course). For ODP, I have to do exams, assignments, OSCEs and i think it's kind of same for Dental Nursing too. For ODP i need to do maths exams and maybe a science as well but I am really bad at maths. I struggle with even basic maths so I am scared I will fail. However, since it is a NHS course it will be easier to get a job if only i do well and even the pay is really good. I am scared what if ODP is too hard for me but I think with dental nursing I will be worried about money my whole life and won't be able to buy a nice house or car for myself. On the other side, I have seen a lot of bad reviews about dental nursing like how they get paid so less and it's hard to find a job. I just don't know what to do with my life. T.T
If there are any Dental Nurses or ODPs could you please give me some suggestions or maybe even share your experiences.
Thank you very much!
Reply 1
Do ODP.

I am a trainee dental nurse in the latter stages of my course, as I'm typing this I've got one eye on the various tabs open in browser as I am looking to start a new career.

Dental Nursing is not great, it isn't lucrative and you will be treated very poorly.

On the flip side, my close friend has just finished his ODP course at Sheffield Hallam and received two job offers before his course even finished; much better pay in comparison to a Dental Nurse and serious career progression prospects.

Just a heads up.

Quick Reply

Latest