The Student Room Group

Is the Czech Republic safe to visit?

Hi
We were thinking of visiting the Czech Republic for a quick weekend but have heard it can be a bit dangerous with kidnappings etc after being told that 3 British telephone workers were kidnapped and beheaded by gangsters while working there in 1998.

We've also been told that a lot of jihadists originated from Czech Republic. But many have said its also a very friendly country. Just who should we believe?
Has anyone been there?
Original post by Ambitious1999
Hi
We were thinking of visiting the Czech Republic for a quick weekend but have heard it can be a bit dangerous with kidnappings etc after being told that 3 British telephone workers were kidnapped and beheaded by gangsters while working there in 1998.

It is a very safe country with one of the lowest crime rates in the world. I certainly don't think you need to be concerned over one incident that happened nearly two decades ago.

We've also been told that a lot of jihadists originated from Czech Republic

That seems highly unlikely, considering the country has an absolutely tiny muslim population. To be honest, you a probably far more likely to encounter home grown jihadists right here in Britain than anywhere like the Czech Republic.

Everybody I know who has been said it was a wonderful country. I indend to visit myself in the near future.
Hi

We've also been told that a lot of jihadists originated from Czech Republic. But many have said its also a very friendly country. Just who should we believe?
Has anyone been there?

It's safe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly the worst you need to worry about is pickpockets.

Czech Republic have a very tiny number of Muslims.
Yes.
Hi

Has anyone been there?

You're speaking as if its some kind of paramilitary-infested Central American banana republic. Clearly someone has been pulling your leg. Thousands of Brits visit Prague every year. It's a famous tourist destination, one of the top 20 most visited cities in Europe. And the jihadi capitals of Europe are London, Paris and Brussels, the Czech republic meanwhile has a Muslim population of about 1000 people, smaller than its Mongolian Buddhist population. If it's unsafe at all, it's unsafe for Muslims, since its current government is rather right wing and racism is more acceptable in Eastern Europe where there are barely any non-white people.

I hate to break it to you but tourists are murdered in the UK quite frequently, sometimes by gangsters. The Czech Republic makes London or Manchester look like Baghdad it's that safe. I suggest you buy a one way ticket and just stay there if you're concerned about being murdered since it's a much safer country than ours.
Rated as low risk (that's lower than, say, the US), detailed advice here.
(edited 7 years ago)
"after being told that 3 British telephone workers were kidnapped and beheaded by gangsters while working there in 1998"

You're needing reassurance about how safe a country is due to an isolated incident that happened nearly a decade ago? How do you ever find the strength to leave the house? :lol:

Edit: ignore my bad maths :ahee:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drunk Punx
"after being told that 3 British telephone workers were kidnapped and beheaded by gangsters while working there in 1998"

You're needing reassurance about how safe a country is due to an isolated incident that happened nearly a decade ago? How do you ever find the strength to leave the house? :lol:

You mean 2 decades ago? yeah, it's as safe as...er another safe thing
Hi

Has anyone been there?

I am in Prague at the moment and have visited before. I can only really speak for Prague. I have never felt in danger here and I am alone and have a penchant for late night walking. If you are with someone and stay to even fairly central Prague the chances of anything happening to you are probably less than they are in much of London.
Yes, of course it is. Practically the same as Germa… uhh… as Germany about five or ten years ago. :dontknow: More like Austria nowadays.
If you are unsure about travelling abroad. There's always the government website that you can have a look at.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/czech-republic
Original post by james813
You mean 2 decades ago? yeah, it's as safe as...er another safe thing

Yeah, that one! Saturday morning maths :sad:
Original post by Drunk Punx
Yeah, that one! Saturday morning maths :sad:

I know the feeling :colondollar:
Hi

Has anyone been there?

Go there, it's great. I've visited many times for city breaks. Go to Prague, but stay in the old part.

If you have time, take a few days to catch a train and spend time in Cesky Krumlow - a beautiful timewarp town.

A great day trip from Prague (one hour by train) is the bone church in Kutna Hora - a remarkable place.
Czech Republic is really safe and there is nothing to be worried about.
It is beautiful country with plenty of UNESCO heritage places and well-preserved nature (same as Slovakia :smile:
Reply 16
Czechia has no Muslims. It is safer than the UK or Germany where every day muslim terrorism is realistically. The only worse threat could be pickpocketers.

Quick Reply

Latest