The Student Room Group

A-level selection

So, I still didn't start a levels, I'm still in Y11.

I'm thinking of taking chemistry(if I get A*A* in double science), Further maths(if I dont like it i will drop it), maths and physics. So, my question is how hard is it and should I pick these 4 hard courses at the same time.
Reply 1
Original post by ARK_REVISES

I'm thinking of taking chemistry(if I get A*A* in double science), Further maths(if I dont like it i will drop it), maths and physics. So, my question is how hard is it and should I pick these 4 hard courses at the same time.

Difficulty 1/motivation.

Further maths will make maths very easy.

Physics is not hard if you practise enough questions; maths is the same.

I can't really comment on chemistry, but you have a standard combination of subjects to do a science or maths related course at university.
(edited 8 years ago)
Doing all 4 at a2 atm. I cant really comment on how hard you will find it, but i'd say if you enjoy the physical sciences and maths and qre willing to put the effort in then its a very good foundation for any stem degree

Further Maths = More Maths =/= Harder Maths

Doing Further Maths will make you spit on the Maths peasants who think 3 modules in a year is hard.
Original post by samb1234
Doing all 4 at a2 atm. I cant really comment on how hard you will find it, but i'd say if you enjoy the physical sciences and maths and qre willing to put the effort in then its a very good foundation for any stem degree

you are right i might drop chemistry later on if I dont find it fun to do or if it is really tough
Original post by BasicMistake

Doing Further Maths will make you spit on the Maths peasants who think 3 modules in a year is hard.

So......you saying that I should take it
So......you saying that I should take it

If you enjoy maths (or at least don't hate it) and you are willing to spend more time on it then yes, take Further Maths.
Original post by BasicMistake

I get the principle of what you're saying, but lets be honest some of the further maths modules are considerably harder than normal maths (such as fp2 fp3 etc)
I took physics, chem, bio and maths. dropped chem after the first year. wish I'd have taken further maths instead of bio :/
Reply 9
Original post by Mentalmirz
I took physics, chem, bio and maths. dropped chem after the first year. wish I'd have taken further maths instead of bio :/

Did what you did in Y12 but then dropped biology and took the full further maths A level in Y13

Quick Reply

Latest