Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone else experienced feeling this way?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I've always worried too much about everything, starting from when I was a child. This has always been present throughout GCSE's, A levels and now university. Whilst I always felt quite stressed during A levels the worst side effects were acid reflux and never being able to relax. Now at university it has gotten a lot worse. Constantly stressing and being anxious about everything has led to me being extremely harsh on myself, this leads to feeling depressed about everything: whilst in this low mood I no longer care about the things which put me there, I'm just sad, can't do anything and have no interest in things.

I've had several episodes of short term depression caused by this since I came to uni. so since i've come back this semester I've been trying a lot harder to not worry about things and be less harsh on myself to be perfect but I broke down a month ago due to stress, thankfully it was before the easter holidays so i had some time off from uni. I came back, was completely care free (i went out every night either clubbing or to see friends, going to bed between 2am and 5am every night for about 2 weeks, i was extremely sociable and happy) but now whatever this is has hit me harder than ever.

It creeps up over a week or so then peaks and I cannot speak to people, or be in social situations, or concentrate on work. People ask whats up because I seem distant and distracted and I get to the point where I can't pretend to be happy anymore so I don't go out At it's worse I cannot get out of bed. Today I tried to attend classes, walked into the lab and straight out again because I couldn't face it. I'm not sure if these periods of stress/anxiety/depression are caused by anything because even without external matters like stress from academic work I have constantly cycled between short periods of depression, then either feeling normal or extremely happy/carefree/wanting to do everything all the time until i hit a low again.

This has happened for about 4 years now. Every time I come out of the low mood I think, I am fine now this will never happen again but it always does, within at least 2 months, every single time. I'm going to see a therapist after I told this all to the mental health services at uni but they referred me a month ago, its in a few days and I just need to talk to someone before then.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Have you ever seen your GP about this? If not then that could help, your uni mental health services are good too so well done for speaking to them. It sounds like you do have some fairly typical symptoms of depression and things, it's normal for people to have better and worse periods but if the ups and downs are becoming more extreme or bothering you a lot it could be a sign of other mental illnesses too so definitely worth talking to someone. Not sure what else to say really but you're not alone in this and there's always people around on the MHSS (mental health support society) thread and things on here if you ever need someone to talk too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.