The Student Room Group

Subject choices A levels

I'm probably moving (again) the the UK this summer and I am planning on taking A levels as a prep for Uni in two years. My question was, what subject choices should I make to keep my options as wide as possible for over two years? The sciences and maths won't cut it for me. And I am 100% certain I want to take history as one of my subjects.

My other question is, is taking my mother language (Dutch) as an A level anything worth?
Original post by Metalfros
I'm probably moving (again) the the UK this summer and I am planning on taking A levels as a prep for Uni in two years. My question was, what subject choices should I make to keep my options as wide as possible for over two years? The sciences and maths won't cut it for me. And I am 100% certain I want to take history as one of my subjects.

My other question is, is taking my mother language (Dutch) as an A level anything worth?

Well i am kinda guessing your a humanities type. Dutch makes you stand out from the crowd and history is good . What about something like geography, english or music (if you do it)
Original post by Metalfros

History, Language, Geography, psychology, art, philosophy come to mind
Reply 3
Well, after looking at the website of my desired college I came down to the following choices: History, Geography, ICT/Computing and economics. This should enable me to pursue a studies in economics, computer science, law, history, geography and some other social sciences.
Reply 4
did you end up doing the dutch A level?

I did the AS last year, and Dutch being my mother tongue, I got an A. it isn't a bad exam and it's pretty much an easy A level if you speak the language. I'm studying for the A2 level though, as it requires slightly advanced vocab and an essay on topics such as society, environment, science&tech, and literature.
I advise you do it cause after summer 2018 its existence will be scrapped since it has so little candidates every year.

Quick Reply

Latest