The Student Room Group

Getting a graduate job with a 2.2 in the modern day (2016)

All is not lost...

When I graduated in Mathematics I had no concern about having achieved a 2.2.

Granted that I was capable of a great deal more, probably a first, I was completely indifferent. I had a job in place to train as a Maths teacher and this was what I wanted to do.

Fast-forward to September 2015:By this time I was entirely fed up of teaching and immensely unhappy with the education system, which, much like the NHS, was being slowly cut to it's knees.

The search was on to find a graduate job, and a good one too, and this is when it dawned on me that I "only" had a 2.2.Many of you will be in the position of achieving a 2.2 and if, like me, you trawl the Internet then you will find many schemes which mostly ask for a minimum of a 2.1. You will also find lots of pessimism and lots of disrespect towards achievers of a 2.2 online but amongst this there is a sprinkling of hope from some kind newspapers and careers sites.

With this in mind i'd like to offer some more on the hope side of the coin.

I probably searched and looked up 70+ jobs. I noticed that ~40 of these strictly asked for a 2.1 and so I made no attempt of an application due to the likelihood of auto filter.
Next, I noticed a handful that would consider a 2.2 with extenuating circumstances, however this qualifies as bereavement and illness normally, not my bone idleness. Nevertheless I applied to some of these speculatively and for application experience.
*Note: don't do this lightly- applications can take 1 hour+ initially (and some up to 3 hours). Bare in mind though that I did all this whilst juggling a busy full-time job no so it does take some commitment.

Finally, I also found a handful of jobs considering applicants with a 2.2. You will need to search far and wide to find these but there are some real gems. Consider, though, that just because they accept a 2.2 it doesn't mean that those with 1sts and 2.1s will not hold an advantage.I made around 10 applications and 7 failed at various stages, from initial, to testing, to telephone interviews and assessment centres.

I did however, have success with 3 applications.
3An offer was made for a public finance accounting scheme but I rejected this as this was my least favourite of my 3 successful applications.
2 I was also made an offer for an exceptionally popular and desirable management scheme but I also rejected that based on...
1 I was made, (and have now started working!), for a Big4 accounting firm. I shan't say which but you may be able to work it out by doing your research if you are that way inclined!

A few pointers:- it is key to highlight your strengths to prospective employees without being forceful.- hone your application and interview skills- do your research for Telephone interviews, ACs and final interviews!

Ultimately it took a lot of time and a lot of effort but it definitely is possible. Good luck and you are welcome to ask me questions.
Reply 1
Hi
Congratulations on your 3 amazing job offers! I have also graduated with a 2.2 and am looking at accountancy training contracts and finding a lot of roadblocks ahead.

Would you mind sharing what you think helped you get your foot in the door with these firms? Do you know what they liked about your application? Did you have some work experience/ past jobs that helped you stand out from the crowd?

Thanks again for sharing your success story, it has definitely inspired me to keep going! Good luck in your new career!
Original post by Anon07079191
All is not lost...

When I graduated in Mathematics I had no concern about having achieved a 2.2.

Granted that I was capable of a great deal more, probably a first, I was completely indifferent. I had a job in place to train as a Maths teacher and this was what I wanted to do.

Fast-forward to September 2015:By this time I was entirely fed up of teaching and immensely unhappy with the education system, which, much like the NHS, was being slowly cut to it's knees.

The search was on to find a graduate job, and a good one too, and this is when it dawned on me that I "only" had a 2.2.Many of you will be in the position of achieving a 2.2 and if, like me, you trawl the Internet then you will find many schemes which mostly ask for a minimum of a 2.1. You will also find lots of pessimism and lots of disrespect towards achievers of a 2.2 online but amongst this there is a sprinkling of hope from some kind newspapers and careers sites.

With this in mind i'd like to offer some more on the hope side of the coin.

I probably searched and looked up 70+ jobs. I noticed that ~40 of these strictly asked for a 2.1 and so I made no attempt of an application due to the likelihood of auto filter.
Next, I noticed a handful that would consider a 2.2 with extenuating circumstances, however this qualifies as bereavement and illness normally, not my bone idleness. Nevertheless I applied to some of these speculatively and for application experience.
*Note: don't do this lightly- applications can take 1 hour+ initially (and some up to 3 hours). Bare in mind though that I did all this whilst juggling a busy full-time job no so it does take some commitment.

Finally, I also found a handful of jobs considering applicants with a 2.2. You will need to search far and wide to find these but there are some real gems. Consider, though, that just because they accept a 2.2 it doesn't mean that those with 1sts and 2.1s will not hold an advantage.I made around 10 applications and 7 failed at various stages, from initial, to testing, to telephone interviews and assessment centres.

I did however, have success with 3 applications.
3An offer was made for a public finance accounting scheme but I rejected this as this was my least favourite of my 3 successful applications.
2 I was also made an offer for an exceptionally popular and desirable management scheme but I also rejected that based on...
1 I was made, (and have now started working!), for a Big4 accounting firm. I shan't say which but you may be able to work it out by doing your research if you are that way inclined!

A few pointers:- it is key to highlight your strengths to prospective employees without being forceful.- hone your application and interview skills- do your research for Telephone interviews, ACs and final interviews!

Ultimately it took a lot of time and a lot of effort but it definitely is possible. Good luck and you are welcome to ask me questions.

For moderators please shoot me if this thread is 5 months old but would like to say there is actually more to it than just a 2.2.
OK its not a fantastic 2.1 or a 1st but you can still get a job.

I graduated with a 2.2 and it took me at least 4 months to get my first full time job. It has been 2 years now and I am in my third job which I started only started yesterday. Why? Due to experience which is much more important than your grades.

A majority of my former course mates achieved a 2.1 and even a 1st but due to lack of (yes that word again; experience) they are still in a volunteering position even after 2 years of graduating.

Achieving a 2.1 or a first isn't everything its your motivation and experience is what matters to compensate for it. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Indeed - 2:2 with experience >>> 1st with no experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending