The Student Room Group

Leeds Beckett or Wiltshire?

Hello everybody.
I'm a Vietnamese person living in Oslo. I like to study filmmaking (not film studies) and right now am wavering between these 2 options:
- BA (Hons) Filmmaking at Leeds Beckett University
- BA (Hons) Film Production and Cinematography at Wiltshire College Salisbury (part of Bournemouth University)
Which one should I choose?

Some other information:
- I like a practical programme, not just theory.
- I like large, exciting cities with rich cultural life. Salisbury is smaller but closer to London.
- The Northern Film School of Leeds Beckett is the only film school that has JAMES accreditation.

I can't decide. What do you think?
Thank you all in advance.
Hi @ElyssaOzog, I just thought I'd give you a few bits of information about Leeds Beckett in case you haven't already found them. Our Filmmaking course is 70-80% practical and you'll be able to go on job placements as part of your studies. If you want more information on the kinds of things you'll be doing I can put you in touch with a member of the Film School.

As for the city, Leeds is one of the biggest (we're the third largest, in fact) and most vibrant cities in the UK. The city is also a great hub for media and film and is really student-friendly. What's more, if you're interested in travelling to London, the train journey from Leeds to Kings Cross in London is two hours and thirty minutes, which is very similar to how long it takes from Salisbury.

I hope that helps,
Andrew
Reply 2
Thank you.
*thinking*
Hi Elyssa, I was wondering if you have enrolled on either one of these courses as I have recently applied to both of them, and was wondering if you had now formed an opinion on one?
Reply 4
Yeah.
I'm studying at Leeds Beckett now. It's tough, especially at the beginning, but I enjoy it.
Is it alright if I've ask you a few questions on it ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Sure.
Thank You, it's much appreciated!

How is the course in general? Do you find it worthwhile your time and money in terms of education? What have you produced on the course so far?
Could you name some of your best facilities? How available are these facilities to you? What individual benefits do you receive for being a student at Leeds Beckett? How is accommodation and student life? Is the environment good for filming in?
Reply 8
Original post by Robinator
Thank You, it's much appreciated!

How is the course in general?

Stressful and hectic, especially at the beginning, I think some people have dropped out, and some people go for easy roles, but once you're into it, it's fun.

Do you find it worthwhile your time and money in terms of education?

Now that's not easy to answer, because I can't compare Leeds Beckett to other universities, and have been here for only 1 term.

What have you produced on the course so far?

In semester 1, I've worked on 4 films, as production designer, as animator, as cam-op, and as editor.

Could you name some of your best facilities? How available are these facilities to you?

You get the equipment to make films in the 4 cycles of semester 1. To borrow them in the school year for personal use would be difficult because there are always some productions going on, but it's possible to borrow them in the summer, or so I was told.
Editing is easier. As long as you have the student card, you can always enter the film building, go to the editing suite and use the software (right now we use Premiere). Computers in the editing suite are Macs.
The library (Leslie Silver) is opened 24/7. You can borrow laptops, headsets, etc.

What individual benefits do you receive for being a student at Leeds Beckett?

What do you mean? I might have to think more about it.

How is accommodation and student life

Student life is good. Pubs are everywhere, if you're into that kind of thing (I'm not). There are different kinds of societies and activities, and discounts for students.
Accommodation is all right.

Is the environment good for filming in?

In semester 1, we either film at location- in the courtroom or in the cells of Leeds Town Hall, or in studios. They're all right. I mean there are certain problems, like with sound, but you have to face such problems in the real world anyway.
Hello guys. My name is Mo, and I'm currently thinking of applying to Leeds Beckett for their MA in documentary film making. I was wondering if anyone knew how practical the courses are there, because I want a course that's at least 80% practical. I'll be waiting for your responses. Thank you
Hertfordshire has JAMES accreditation for its audio courses and facilities, which are shared by the Film Production course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending