The Student Room Group
Most of the contrasts are to do with sustainability in terms of capacity and leakage - if that makes any sense - lol.

You have to consider that the LEDC government is not always in the position to invest (low economic capacity) and that it is often up to multinational companies (particularly large hotel chains) to open the tourist industry in the LEDC. They often bring their own products, food and workforce such that the local economy and community does not actually benefit (leakage).

Effects on different groups of people? Think how you would feel in each person's position. Whether you are thinking about travelling's effects on climate change. Do you want you economy to succeed and expand to get you out of debt? Do you want a more reliable source of income for your family?

Multiplier effect - look at the Growth Tree Model - probably be able to find it on internet. It just explains that if you invest in, for example, an airport, there will be great economic and social effects. People will be employed, get more skills and money, a more affluent lifestyle and capable of doing other activities rather than just farming (on which most LEDCs depend. Just think of the broader picture of what effect that such changes would have.

Hope that I've helped and given you a few ideas. I've answered as an A level student so hope you are doing A levels otherwise you may be a bit overwhelmed - lol.
Reply 2
Yea I understand about the leakages and stuff, typically found in LEDCs. What does low economic capacity mean? And I need a good definition of a multiplier effect :P I know what it is but I don't really know how to explain it.. that's the problem. Is it like the number of times that flows through the economy for every dollar injected into the economy or something like that :s-smilie:
Reply 3
this might help you for the multiplier effect:smile: http://geographyfieldwork.com/TouristMultiplier.htm
Economic capacity basically means the amount of money the investor/government is prepared to/able to give to the tourist industry. In the LEDW, there is simply less money that the country is able to put towards tourism since, even if a large sum of money is apparent, other issues have priority. Therefore the LEDW has a lower economic capacity.

Latest

Trending

Trending