The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MM2B Mechanics 2 – 27th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I just did June 15 as a mock and only just got a B. Time was an issue but didnt eve know how to start the last question. Been getting A* in all past papers apart from in this one I just crumbled. I don't like a question where it is 8/9 marks and asks you to calculate something straight up instead of leading you into it with different parts. Anyone got any tips? after the way my other maths exams have gone I really need to do well on this. M3 is the worst exam I have had so far.
Getting mostly A*s (90UMS+) in past papers but I feel like I'm going to crumble tomorrow.
Like doing past papers at home is so much easier. :s
Anyone else in a similar position?!
I just want an A* but I feel like the paper tomorrow will be absolutely horrible.

I'm predicting lots of algebraic manipulation and quite a few large mark questions with no parts.
I mean M1 wasn't too bad but there were larger mark questions and less parts.

I couldn't even do the question that requires the double angle formula as I thought I only needed to know simple stuff from C3 like
differentiating & integrating sin, cos, ln, e & separating variables.:angry:

Good Luck everyone anyway!
Hopefully it will be hard in a good way so that the grade boundaries will be nice.
Reply 82
I am so scared about meeting my offer I bombed 2 of my other exams so this exam is literally make it or break it for me and seems like it is for other people
Reply 83
Original post by JPencil
I'm about to do 2015 as a mock. I'm actually looking forward to D2, from the bits I've done it seems nice. Do you know if we have to use simplex to find optimal mixed strategies?

Yeah it's okay, and no we don't but that would be useful! Game theory is the best topic imo
Reply 84
Original post by Hjyu1
I am so scared about meeting my offer I bombed 2 of my other exams so this exam is literally make it or break it for me and seems like it is for other people

Agreed
Reply 85
Original post by Pentaquark
Getting mostly A*s (90UMS+) in past papers but I feel like I'm going to crumble tomorrow.
I just want an A* but I feel like the paper tomorrow will be absolutely horrible.

I'm predicting lots of algebraic manipulation and quite a few large mark questions with no parts.

I couldn't even do the question that requires the double angle formula as I thought I only needed to know simple stuff from C3 like

Hopefully it will be hard in a good way so that the grade boundaries will be nice.

I'm the same as you. I hardly drop any marks when doing past papers at home, but I can't seem to perform quite as well in real exams. I guess it's just exam pressure.
Reply 86
Original post by Hjyu1

I know the feeling
Good Luck especially to everyone who is banking on this exam to meet their uni offers!
Gosh I don't think I could cope with all that pressure! :frown:
I'm glad I'm an AS student right now. :colondollar: I can't complain haha
HELP QUESTION 8 JUNe 13 PART B
Reply 89
Original post by misslili118
HELP QUESTION 8 JUNe 13 PART B

Using conservation of energy, we know that:

12m(vQ)2=12m(vS)2+mgΔh12m(vS)2=12m(vQ)2mgΔh\frac{1}{2}m(v_Q)^2 = \frac{1}{2}m(v_S)^2 + mg\Delta h \:\: \therefore \:\: \frac{1}{2}m(v_S)^2 = \frac{1}{2}m(v_Q)^2 - mg\Delta h

We can now cancel all the mm terms and tidy things up a bit:

12(vS)2=12(vQ)2gΔh(vS)2=(vQ)22gΔh\frac{1}{2}(v_S)^2 = \frac{1}{2}(v_Q)^2 - g\Delta h \:\: \therefore \:\: (v_S)^2 = (v_Q)^2 - 2g\Delta h

From the information given in the question, we know that vS=5uv_S = 5u. We can also work out the value of Δh\Delta h (the vertical distance between Q and S) using a bit of simple trigonometry. It turns out that Δh=a+acos60\Delta h = a + acos 60^{\circ}. Therefore,

(vS)2=(5u)22g(a+acos60)(v_S)^2 = (5u)^2 - 2g(a + acos 60^{\circ})

(vS)2=25u22ag(1+cos60)(v_S)^2 = 25u^2 - 2ag(1 + cos 60^{\circ})

From part (a) we also know that u=4ag21u = \sqrt{\dfrac{4ag}{21}}. Hence,

(vS)2=25(4ag21)2ag(32)=100ag213ag(vS)2=37ag21(v_S)^2 = 25\bigg(\dfrac{4ag}{21}\bigg) - 2ag\bigg(\dfrac{3}{2}\bigg) = \dfrac{100ag}{21} - 3ag \:\: \Rightarrow \:\: (v_S)^2 = \dfrac{37ag}{21}

Resolving radially at S,

R=m(vS)2amgcos60 R = \dfrac{m(v_S)^2}{a} - mgcos 60^{\circ}

R=m(37ag21)amg(12)=37mg2112mgR=53mg42 R = \dfrac{m\bigg(\dfrac{37ag}{21} \bigg)}{a} - mg\bigg(\dfrac{1}{2}\bigg) = \dfrac{37mg}{21} - \dfrac{1}{2}mg \:\: \Rightarrow \:\: R = \dfrac{53mg}{42}
(edited 7 years ago)
june 15 Q9 taking moments about P i don how the distance between W (mg) and P is acos30
anyone???
Feeling quite good, only thing i'm not 100% on is vertical circles and a bit of the good old springs, hopefully the questions that come are straightforward on these topics, so many method marks so i should be fine if i mess up signs and what not.
Can someone help me with June 2006 Q5 part (a) and (d) please? Thanks.
Reply 93
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
Does the reaction force always act towards the centre?

Depends if you are resolving radially or not. Usually given in the context of the question but if it was say a 8 mark question you would have to figure it out yourself.
Original post by Pentaquark

When is/was the double angle formula required? (and what is it -fellow year 12 😄)
Original post by rainbowtwist
When is/was the double angle formula required? (and what is it -fellow year 12 😄)

Jan 13 - last question.
hemispherical bowl thing and you had to take moments.
It was a show that question.
tbh I don't understand it lol but its only like one mark lost I think ?
Reply 96
Good luck to everyone tomorrow. If the problems are very difficult think hard that there's only a select few things that they will ask you on in given questions. Think about what topic it is then apply anything you know about that topic. Lost on a moments question? Resolve vertically/horizontally/parrellel/perpendicular and take moments about a point. Even if you don't get the answer you will get a lot of method marks! I probably won't be doing an unofficial MS after the exam as I am leaving school straight after, but if no one else does I'll contribute some answers. Again best of luck to those of you who have university offers depending on this exam, keep as relaxed as possible and try your best, you will pick up more method marks then you might think :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Good luck everyone! Even if the questions stretch us, may our minds be in equilibrium...

Well that was lame 😅
Original post by C0balt
Good luck everyone! Even if the questions stretch us, may our minds be in equilibrium...

Well that was lame 😅

Indeed it was. 😂
Reply 99
Original post by C0balt

Well that was lame 😅

No reference to EPE😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending