Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

The moral support of parents to study an arts subject

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Do your parents support your choice of course? I'd like to hear some experiences.

I've decided for now to give up trying to convince my mum that I need to study something i'm truly passionate about after a discussion which ended in her saying that I should "stop dreaming".

I understand her concern comes from a pragmatic mindset, but nonetheless it is extremely disheartening. I have a plan that is very pragmatic for after I graduate, but her voice is constantly the voice of negativity and doubt in my head. I've realised in order for me to get to where I want to be, I need to stop holding my mum's opinion as gospel.

It took me a long time to ask for her to support me financially in order for me to be able to do this, which I am grateful that she accepted. I just wish she would stop reminding me that I owe her for it. I wanted to share my excitement with her when I revealed to her that I got into the school I wanted, but the first thing she said was, "how much is it going to cost?" Perhaps it's too much to ask also for her moral support in my chosen subject of fine art.

My parents support me wholeheartedly - they always have.
    I've always been encouraged to speak up, stand out, be confident, work hard to achieve my goals, and do whatever makes me happy. They have, since I was little, encouraged creativity. No matter how ugly my creations were or horrible my fictional work was, they praised me.
    They have done the same thing for my brother, who've decided to pursue music (teaching/therapy/performance) as a career.
    We've always been told that we should choose a path which enables us to support ourselves, but in the end they only want us to be happy. Money comes second.
    Not to say that my family lives in a fairy tale. I've had a part-time job since I was 13 (my own decision), and have always wanted to earn my own money. So if what makes me happy is working as a cashier at Tesco or a waitress at Nandos, and keeping art on the side/as a hobby, then that is what they want for me.
    So yeah, I have their moral support. They support me in every way possible - both financially (which I've declined), and in spirit.

When I was a teenager I was considering studying church music (I'm not religious, but I played the organ quite well at some point). My mother was not particularly keen on the idea, but more importantly, I realised I'm not actually musical, so that was that.

What is your plan for after graduation? Do as many internships as you can during your degree.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.