Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Can anyone mark a GCSE history question for me?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Would appreciate it if somebody could mark this essay question for me.
    OCR History GCSE

"The following two things were equally important in Nazi control over the German people:"
    "How far do you agree?" 10 marks.
    Nazi control of the German people was based on many factors that successfully managed to keep people from rebelling, which largely came under terror and propaganda.
    Propaganda constantly told the public good news of the nazi party, convincing people that everyone loved the nazis. Though this may seem to be something minor, it had a large effect - the Germans knew nothing other than what the Nazis told them, so had to believe it, making people like the nazis. This level of indoctrination - especially among the impressionable young in schools, advertising, cinema sports etc - made a loyal population - one unwilling to rebel. This is important to control as no population that is happy will rebel, making propaganda extremely important to Nazi control. On the other hand, many adults saw through the propaganda having known a different life, so were discontent with Nazi rule, meaning Goebbel's propaganda had limits.

Fear played a huge part in Nazi rule. Many were too scared even to privately complain due to groups like the Gestapo, who they believed had an agent on every street. This led people to not dare to speak out - effectively quelling any resistance before it began. This was an extremely important factor in Hitler's control, as none would dare to oppose the nazis, meaning their authority was assured. Concentration camps and the police ensured open opposition was suicidal. On the other hand, there were occasions in which people spoke out, such as Niemoller, who formed a confessional church against the nazis, though this was an exception. Most were too scared to do anything to the point they would inform the gestapo on their own families.

In conclusion, the statement is not entirely true as terror was far more effective in exercising control than propaganda, with people too scared to even complain, much less open opposition. Propaganda, however, did play a huge part in controlling the masses, making people unwilling to oppose all they knew. The statement, however, is largely wrong.

That's it! Would appreciate it if you could give me advice on how to improve, what I did well and how many marks I would likely get in an exam. Thanks!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.