The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

University Exeter Penryn Campus

I've been offered a place at Exeter Uni Penryn Campus, and due to it being such a highly ranked university im increasingly interested, however when I visited I am a bit concerned it will have not a lot going on concerning student life,such as a student atmosphere and night life especially. I was wondering whether anyone attending the university could help and let me know if there is a lot going on as I don't want to move far away from where I live to feel isolated and bored.
Ok, I have also applied. I am not a current student, but have a friend in her 3rd year and she loved it so much she has chosen to stay down there once she graduates. As for night life, there are a few main bars that have good music in terms of DJ stuff. The live music scene is big down there thanks to the creatives at Falmouth arts! So plenty of gigs, which I my opinion are better than night clubs but that's just me. Club I (international) is shall I say the notorious 'night club'. Apparently it holds some novelty, but can be a little bit tacky at times! There is another club, I cant remember the name of as well! There are also numerous karaoke nights! (Wohoo!) There are a few clubs in Truro which is only about a 15 min train away. Also the FXU has some great nights on at the campus in the uni bar! Student life is big in Falmouth, where most people live after first year! It was one of the most student satisfied uni's last year, so can't be that bad. The FXU does a great job with unions, and there are loads of cute quirky cafes and amazing Bric-a-Brac shops and charming alleyways too! If you are big into the outdoors, you have the beautiful cornwall countryside to explore and the beaches are one off. It is definitely a calmer uni, so if you're looking for a giant booze filled, club laden uni, then sadly this isn't for you. More of a love a good knees up without heading to some meat market. And just think BBQs on the beach!!! Lovely.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Also from a similar thread:
Sorry13:
"Social life is actually pretty good at the university, we have something called the Stannary which tends to hold a lot of events... the student union FXU is amazing, I'm not just saying that because I'm a student at Falmouth, I'm saying that no other student union understands the importance of integrating and gelling with people more than FXU... during fresher's week they hold lots of parties and things, some are fancy dress, some are dressy like Fresher's Ball... but we get DJs and people coming to play at the Stannary Bar a lot, for example XYConstant is coming to play in November who's a pretty good techno DJ...
There's like, 2 clubs down in Falmouth, which aren't amazing, this area of Cornwall is more about pubs rather than clubbing, but people still have great nights out... and if you really want to go clubbing and live it up somewhere you can go to Newquay for the weekend... Besides you can have the same clubbing experience at the Stannary on one of their events!
People hold house parties all the time and have a laugh, so whilst you'd thinkPenryn is pretty quiet, Penryn itself on the streets is, yes, its a suburb of Falmouth, but on the university campus there's something going on all the time... when you join the societies for example if you join English Tremough Society they go on pub crawls around Falmouth and they organise BBQs on the beach in summer... there was a recent party on the beach called DECISION last week... parties are on almost every week... this Saturday its an 80s themed party at the Stannary.

I'm not doing the Film degree, I do English with Creative Writing but a lot of people do film at Falmouth, its a very popular degree, she will meet a lot of people on that course, she'll never be bored, and if you live in Glasney Student Village which is on campus, the accommodation there is great, most students live there and everybody hangs out there... but even if you live down in Falmouth in other university accommodation, you still get to go to places like Jacob's Ladder and have a laugh.. its not as quiet as people think it is, and FXU make sure there's lots of social events... in summer we have a Garden Party where we have an old fashioned carousel and music and food in the sunshine. There's something on almost every weekend. If your daughter ever wanted to head down to a cheesy club in Falmouth it costs £1 on the bus."

Quick Reply

Latest