The Student Room Group

Help ! GSCE YR.11 ?!

Hey, can anyone tell me what its like to be in yr.11??
I am currently in yr.10 but I was just wondering if it gets harder. I do Spanish, Geography , Art and also triple science (we have one less option because of the changes to english and maths gcse)
I am talking about the work load , when you need to start revising for your actual gcses and also when are mocks usually in yr.11?
Finally, does yr.10 mocks really affect the set you would be in yr.11??

p.s sorry if there were a lot of question :P
You would have to ask the last 2 questions to someone in your school - each school is different when it comes to that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theamazingstar24
I am currently in yr.10 but I was just wondering if it gets harder. I do Spanish, Geography , Art and also triple science (we have one less option because of the changes to english and maths gcse)
I am talking about the work load , when you need to start revising for your actual gcses and also when are mocks usually in yr.11?

HA. Good luck with these new GCSE's. You'll need it. xx

Anyway, I'd start revising for actual the GCSE's near Christmas.

Also -> Year 10 mocks mean, quite honestly, nothing.
Your sets are very unlikely to change in Yr10/11.
The difference in 'difficulty' between year 10 and 11 isn't that big. The only major difference is the amount of stress - you have loads of deadlines for coursework and such (if you still have to do it), and then there's obviously the pressure of exams and revision. Most people recommend starting revision anywhere in between Christmas and Easter - I started in Feb half term but 'full-on' revision only started last week. Most schools I believe have year 11 mocks in November, December or January. Ours personally ran from November 30th until December 7th. Year 10 mocks can affect your sets to a certain degree, but it's unlikely to make much of a difference. Especially in science, since you do triple they're very unlikely to move you down if you do badly. In my experience year 10 mocks count for nothing - for me they were more of something to learn from as I did quite badly!

Year 11 is slightly harder than year 10 in the sense that there is more pressure cos of the exams at the end of the year. *Start revising around feb/march, do a timetable and give yourself time to go over subjects a second time if u dont understand them. *And yeah, with mocks it depends on the school...

Well my exams are in 4 weeks and I'm stressed. I am saying to you now, DO NOT STRESS IN YR10, I did the same thing in year 8 and it meant nothing. I didn't do amazing in the 10 mocks but you have yr11 mocks (in december for me) and your school will do practice. Although i have found my yr10 revision notes are far better than anything i've done recently . In terms of workload, the same mostly but they rush you for Coursework. You spend a lot of time after school but it's fine and completely worth it. Take it from me i did my final french speaking today 40 days before my exam and now all my coursework is done. Sets won't really change I mean they'll probs put you in higher because schools don't like putting people in foundation because you need to put so much more work in just to get a C at maximum.
You haven't finished the Course yet so their is no point revising now because you don't know everything. Focus hard on your mocks though, trust me they are very good practise. DM me if you have any issues
(edited 8 years ago)

Personally, the only thing that I found to be harder is the science.. Apart from that, you learn pretty much everything in the past years.. However, it does get very stressful as you enter in year 11 because of the pressure of the exams.. Since you are in year 10, take this advice... Revise now and solidify your knowledge now.. You wont learn as well in year 11 because of the pressure... Do well in year 10 and year 11 becomes considerably easier.

Quick Reply

Latest