The Student Room Group

Would I get an offer? (Mature student)

I am a mature student (26) and I have already 3 A-Levels from 2013 in:

Economics A (344 UMS)
Business Studies A (334 UMS)
Statistics B (400 UMS)

I achieved these grades whilst working full time, self-teaching and taking care of disabled mother. Furthermore, I have recently been diagnosed with ADHD, which explains my focus in exams situations and actual learning.

During 2013/2014 I was studying at SOAS BSc Economics, I left the program as it wasn't the right program for me. So I had a 'false start' in term of my uni and lost my passion. This lead me to go traveling for a few years, which was needed as I needed to find my passion again and now I have just returned home I have found my passion to learn again. I am in a much better situation and have no distractions.

I plan on studying BSc Mathematics with Economics at (LSE, UCL,Warwick) and in the next year I will be self teaching A-Level Mathematics and further mathematics, which I am sure I will be able to achieve A* in both. Also, I might consider retaking one or two statistics exams to boost my grade. Which as a result would leave me with (If goes to plan) A*A*AAA.

My question is at the time of applying some of my result will be 3 years old, would that be a problem? And more importantly do you think my application would be considered by the mentioned schools I intend on applying too or am I being too ambitious?
You'll be applying through UCAS, which gives 5 choices. So, I say go ahead and apply for the 3 you mentioned above, with those grades you will stand a very good chance, and I imagine even with 3 year old results.
One of my results is three years old (Since I did the A-level in one year, and time has passed) and I have had no problems getting offers from Universities similar to the ones you are applying to.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by DepletingSanity
You'll be applying through UCAS, which gives 5 choices. So, I say go ahead and apply for the 3 you mentioned above, with those grades you will stand a very good chance, and I imagine even with 3 year old results.
One of my results is three years old (Since I did the A-level in one year, and time has passed) and I have had no problems getting offers from Universities similar to the ones you are applying to.
Good luck :smile:

Thanks,

I noticed on LSE website they mentioned recent studies within 2 to 3 years so technically by me studying Maths and Further Maths this should count as recent studies?

Can I ask what course and grades you had when applying?

And for the record I have contacted the said Uni's in regards to my application and they all seems to say the same thing, we review each application on an individual base and don't really answer my question lol

I need to write a really good PS and maybe send each uni additional information in support of my application.
I had A* A B C applying for Criminology (Such a bad choice, it isn't at all science-based :frown: ), but I've seen people accepted with ABC (Philosophy), or even BBC (Archeology).
If it helps, from the people I know I had the highest grades, and others I knew did Law, Computer Science, Biology and Physics.
York tend to be quite lenient to those who firm it.
Original post by ramie
I am a mature student (26) and I have already 3 A-Levels from 2013 in:

Economics A (344 UMS)
Business Studies A (334 UMS)
Statistics B (400 UMS)

I achieved these grades whilst working full time, self-teaching and taking care of disabled mother. Furthermore, I have recently been diagnosed with ADHD, which explains my focus in exams situations and actual learning.

During 2013/2014 I was studying at SOAS BSc Economics, I left the program as it wasn't the right program for me. So I had a 'false start' in term of my uni and lost my passion. This lead me to go traveling for a few years, which was needed as I needed to find my passion again and now I have just returned home I have found my passion to learn again. I am in a much better situation and have no distractions.

I plan on studying BSc Mathematics with Economics at (LSE, UCL,Warwick) and in the next year I will be self teaching A-Level Mathematics and further mathematics, which I am sure I will be able to achieve A* in both. Also, I might consider retaking one or two statistics exams to boost my grade. Which as a result would leave me with (If goes to plan) A*A*AAA.

My question is at the time of applying some of my result will be 3 years old, would that be a problem? And more importantly do you think my application would be considered by the mentioned schools I intend on applying too or am I being too ambitious?

KOOL SAME AS ME I LEFT SOAS I want to know who was our lecturer for microeconomics was it the italian guy
Reply 5
Original post by bigmansouf
KOOL SAME AS ME I LEFT SOAS I want to know who was our lecturer for microeconomics was it the italian guy

Yeah was terrible!
Original post by ramie
Yeah was terrible!

i think i was in the same class as you

the worst uni for economics
Reply 7
I completed my A Levels in 2013 and I am doing A Levels Maths and Economics by myself this year. The year which you did your A Levels in do not matter and I had no problems when applying to University this year. I received offers from Russell Group Universities- I didn't even have predicted grades for Economics and Maths (I applied for Economics) so I don't think it should be a problem. As you are applying as a mature student the only difference is that you might have to state what you did in the 3 years you took out. I just about made the cut for applying 'normally' as I was 20/21 not over 21 so didn't have to explain my gap year(s) situation. LSE/UCL usually want you to sit your exams in the space of 2 years so I'm not sure what they would make of your situation but other RG uni's would definitely be open to it. But don't take my word for it be sure to contact LSE/UCL or ask their students. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest