The Student Room Group

Are there any distance learning qualifications that are equivalent to GCSE?

Or IGCSE?
Here are the qualifications that are equivalent to GCSEs:

Level 1- GCSE (grades D-G)
- Key Skills level 1
- NVQ level 1
- Skills for Life level 1
- Foundation diploma
- BTEC award, certificate and diploma level 1
- Foundation Learning level 1
- Functional Skills level 1
- Cambridge National level 1
Level 2- GCSE (grades A*-C)
- Key Skills level 2
- NVQ level 2
- Skills for Life level 2
- Higher diploma
- BTEC award, certificate and diploma level 2
- Functional Skills level 2
- Cambridge National level 2
- Cambridge Technical level 2
Reply 2
Original post by RachaelBee
Here are the qualifications that are equivalent to GCSEs:

Level 1- GCSE (grades D-G)
- Key Skills level 1
- NVQ level 1
- Skills for Life level 1
- Foundation diploma
- BTEC award, certificate and diploma level 1
- Foundation Learning level 1
- Functional Skills level 1
- Cambridge National level 1
Level 2- GCSE (grades A*-C)
- Key Skills level 2
- NVQ level 2
- Skills for Life level 2
- Higher diploma
- BTEC award, certificate and diploma level 2
- Functional Skills level 2
- Cambridge National level 2
- Cambridge Technical level 2

Thanks but which of these can be done via distance learning?
Original post by moon4
Or IGCSE?

You can do a lot of GCSEs and iGCSEs with distance providers. Why are you wanting to do an equivalent? What subjects are you wanting to do and what is your aim? Because subject and what you want to use the qualifications for will help choose the right course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by laalNick
You can do a lot of GCSEs and iGCSEs with distance providers. Why are you wanting to do an equivalent? What subjects are you wanting to do and what is your aim? Because subject and what you want to use the qualifications for will help choose the right course.

If rather not go into why, if that's ok. I'm looking to find out about ANY subjects equivalent to GCSE or IGCSE that can be done via distance learning, so if you know of any or can find out or tell me how I can find out what can be done that is equivalent via distance learning, I would be thankful.
Original post by moon4
If rather not go into why, if that's ok. I'm looking to find out about ANY subjects equivalent to GCSE or IGCSE that can be done via distance learning, so if you know of any or can find out or tell me how I can find out what can be done that is equivalent via distance learning, I would be thankful.

Seems odd though that you want ANY subject. And some subjects are only taught to particular qualification titles and depending on how you want to use them in the future a particular qualification in a subject may be better than another 'equivalent' qualification in the same subject. That's why I was asking. If you have some subject(s) you are interested in, than it should be easier to search courses based on that especially if you are not wanting to do standard GCSEs as other qualification titles can vary.

Some providers are better for certain subjects or only offer certain subjects. Why not GCSE or iGCSEs though as providers like NEC, ICS, Oxford Open Learning, Open Study College to name a few (no experience of any though, although have heard a few good things about the NEC) offer a range of qualifications starting at GCSE.

Also instead of distance a lot of colleges offer evening classes for GCSEs/A levels and Maths & English GCSEs are free if you don't have a passing grade a lot of the time.
You can also register for GCSEs, A level as private candidates and self teach and sit any exams/submit coursework via an agreeing school. Any distance learning provider that does GCSEs, GNVQ, A Level (or equivalents) etc will usually require you to register as private candidate at a college/school etc to sit the exam there as they only supply tutor contact and course texts. And as far as I know the school has to offer that subject qual usually and not all take external candidates or have a limited number of places which can narrow down options.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by laalNick
Seems odd though that you want ANY subject. And some subjects are only taught to particular qualification titles and depending on how you want to use them in the future a particular qualification in a subject may be better than another 'equivalent' qualification in the same subject. That's why I was asking. If you have some subject(s) you are interested in, than it should be easier to search courses based on that especially if you are not wanting to do standard GCSEs as other qualification titles can vary.

Some providers are better for certain subjects or only offer certain subjects. Why not GCSE or iGCSEs though as providers like NEC, ICS, Oxford Open Learning, Open Study College to name a few (no experience of any though, although have heard a few good things about the NEC) offer a range of qualifications starting at GCSE.

Also instead of distance a lot of colleges offer evening classes for GCSEs/A levels and Maths & English GCSEs are free if you don't have a passing grade a lot of the time.
You can also register for GCSEs, A level as private candidates and self teach and sit any exams/submit coursework via an agreeing school. Any distance learning provider that does GCSEs, GNVQ, A Level (or equivalents) etc will usually require you to register as private candidate at a college/school etc to sit the exam there as they only supply tutor contact and course texts. And as far as I know the school has to offer that subject qual usually and not all take external candidates or have a limited number of places which can narrow down options.

I'm looking for equivalent qualifications that can be done via distance learning only. And I'm looking at any qalifications. Is there a way I can find out about any qualifications that can be done via distance learning that are equivalent to GCSE or IGCSE?
Original post by moon4
I'm looking for equivalent qualifications that can be done via distance learning only. And I'm looking at any qalifications. Is there a way I can find out about any qualifications that can be done via distance learning that are equivalent to GCSE or IGCSE?

And once again it will depend on subject. If you gave us a few subjects you want to do then people can link you to any equivalent, worthwhile qualifications for those as I said above not all places will offer types of qualification or subject for distance learning.

Have you looked at ICS, NEC etc.. to see what they offer?
Reply 8
Look at specific distance learning providers and see what they offer:

www.stonebridge.uk.com
www.ukdlp-distance-learning.com
www.homelearningcollege.com
www.learningathome.co.uk
www.oxfordcollege.ac
www.icslearn.co.uk
www.ncchomelearning.co.uk

There's more out there than these, but they're a good starting point.

Not all of the above will do equivalents, but use the list RachaelBee gave to see if any of the above offer those courses.

(If you see any level 1 or level 2 courses that say you'll receive a 'certificate of achievement', or a 'certificate of attainment', it is not the type of course you want, so look for the ones RachaelBee has specifically mentioned).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending