The Student Room Group

Changing of year 10 subject??

Hi, Im a year 10 student. Can anyone please tell me if I can drop or change my GCSE Art. I cannot bare the lesson and have fallen behind, I dont know why I chose it in the first place. Its not going to help me with my application to join the Royal Navy when I'm 16 and I feel that it would be time and effort better spent in trying to get a higher grade in Maths and English (im in the lower group for both these subjects) with the help of learning support. But the teachers wont listen to me and say there is nothing they can do. If I refuse to go to Art they have threatened me with the UNIT!! which wont do me any favours. Im so stressed with it all but no one wants to help me. What can I do?
You should tell your parents if your teachers refuse to listen to you. I had friends who picked art and found it incredibly time consuming however they went through with it and they all got A/A*'s so you never know! I dont know if your school will let you change your subject but they could enter you in history/geog/ict perhaps - but then again you would have to catch up with that too. Or you could drop art entirely. In my opinion, you should talk to your parents, tell them how you feel and from there they can help out.
(edited 8 years ago)
I dropped photography in year 10 by speaking to the head of year. Yo could try speaking to either head of art or head of department?
Reply 3
Is there anyone else you can talk to at your school instead of your teachers? Back when I did GCSE's, it was possible to just drop a subject though the teacher did have to give permission for that, but it may vary between schools. Talk to some kind of a learning coordinator maybe, or the head of your year group, maybe the head of the art department. I mean you could just ask your tutor as well to find out if your school allows it at all.

Quick Reply

Latest