Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I tell someone I don't want to be their friend in a nice way?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Well, I think we all know there really isn't a nice way to tell someone you don't like them and don't want to be friends with them but I don't know how to handle this situation.

I'm in college at the moment and if all goes to plan I'll be attending university in September. Most of my current class are really nice bar one girl. She wants to attend the same university so has kinda latched onto me. At first I thought she was ok and didn't mind spending time with her or having a conversation but over the year her behaviour has gotten worse and worse.
    She's relentlessly rude, immature, loud and obnoxious. All day. Everyday. She's just in your face constantly if you know what I mean? She disrupts the classroom with screaming, shrill laughter at nothing and irrevelant opinions. She thinks she's always right and will literally force her opinion down your throat and scream over you if you try to retort. There are three things she did that have put me off her once and for all.
    1. She is a lesbian, which I have no problem with, but she makes sexual advances on the other girls in the class who are straight to the point that we all feel very uncomfortable. She's unhooked girls bras including me without out consent in public places, I know they're unhappy about this and I was seriously angry. I told her this at the time and she hasn't done it since but still, why would you think that's ok in the first place?
    2. There was a death in my family so I got an extension on my graded unit plan to which she said, "Well it (by it she means the death of my family member) was over the Christmas holidays so why do you get an extension?" I was so taken aback I didn't say anything.
    3. Myself and a classmate were talking about how we can sometimes be awkward when first meeting people, she leaned over and said, "Maybe you're autistic". Again, I was so shocked by her insensitive and completely inaccurate comment I was speechless.
    These are the sort of things she says to everyone and honestly, no one in my class likes her because of the way she acts and the things she says.

Despite all this and my numerous, very obvious hints she's completely oblivious to the fact I don't like her and don't want to be friends. I've tried avoiding her, ignoring her and so many other things but she follows me around and literally forces her company on me.

I don't want to be horrible or hurt her feelings but I'm genuinely so worried I'm going to be stuck with her at uni as we'll be studying the same course.

Tell it straight to her, just do it in a nice way. Continue to avoid her after that.

If she's going to be a bit.ch to you and other girls, tell her to shove her friendship. You don't need to put it kindly to her, when she has only ever spewed vile comments at you and harassed you. That's not equal. Tell her to shove it.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.