The Student Room Group

Help with deferring course and finance

Hia all I hope you can help me.
My daughter is in her final year at Uni but as she is currently 7 months pregnant has had to defer her course until february next year. She got the offical deferment notification on 8th April, 2 days later her student finance (for the next 3 months) was paid into her bank. She doesn't want to spend any of it in case they ask for it back, but she has to pay rent/bills etc in the meantime (her student house tenancy contract lasts until july). We cant get any sense from student finance wales. Is she entitled to any or all of the finance she was paid? or does anyone know if she would be entitled to any benefits either now or for the period between july (when her course was due to end) and february when she starts her studies again? FYI She lives with her boyfriend who is also a 3rd year student and who will be going on to a teacher training course in september. They have already lined up a cheap (ish) private rented house for july when their current tenancy is up.
I would be grateful for any help or direction to the right people to talk to.
Reply 1
Hey, she's right not to spend it. If she's not actually at university during the time they have sent it to her, they'll want it back.
Reply 2
Original post by Cathij0269
Is she entitled to any or all of the finance she was paid?

She isn't entitled to any of it after the date she withdraws from uni. You only get SF if you're a student. As soon as the uni inform SF that she has withdrawn, they will ask for that money back in full, immediately.

or does anyone know if she would be entitled to any benefits either now or for the period between july (when her course was due to end) and february when she starts her studies again?

You really need to talk to a benefits adviser, maybe at your local Citizens' Advice Bureau. But from what I've seen on TSR over the past few years, probably not. In order to get Jobseekers Allowance, she'd have to be actively looking for full-time work. It doesn't sound likely in her current situation.

FYI She lives with her boyfriend who is also a 3rd year student and who will be going on to a teacher training course in september. They have already lined up a cheap (ish) private rented house for july when their current tenancy is up.

Be aware that she will have to start paying some level of Council Tax since she's no longer a student. That will start from the date she officially suspends her studies. This will apply to her future home with her boyfrind as well.
Reply 3
Thanks all, so, she's still classed as a student and therefore won't get benefits but is not a student as far as council tax goes, and won't get student finance help either! Good grief! They don't make it easy for people do they! Can't believe the system practically forces people to waste 2 1/2 years of the uni they've done, rather than helping them finish. I know my daughter hasn't helped herself by accidently getting pregnant, but it happens and rather than helping you achieve despite the setback you get punished
Reply 4
It's certainly a rough system for those who don't meet fixed criteria. The Citizens' Advice Bureau know their way round it and should be able to offer a bit more help on what to do next. I hope it works out for your daughter. Whilst she's in a difficult situation, I'm sure her child will bring you all much pleasure. Good luck.
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88
It's certainly a rough system for those who don't meet fixed criteria. The Citizens' Advice Bureau know their way round it and should be able to offer a bit more help on what to do next. I hope it works out for your daughter. Whilst she's in a difficult situation, I'm sure her child will bring you all much pleasure. Good luck.

Thank you, you're very right, whilst the timing could've been a bit better, I am very excited to meet my precious (first) grandbaby in a few months (and spoil her rotten - its in the job decription!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending