The Student Room Group

Are flatmates completely random?

I've seen something about 'sharing preferences' - do they make any effort to sort similar people together or is it completely random?
Reply 1
I don't think its completely random, I'd say they try to pool people together based on courses, ethnicity, background and interests
Reply 2
Do you have to put in any interests? Do they take any information from you when you apply for residences?
Reply 3
Depends on the uni, I'd recommend posting in the requisite university forum as it's specific to wherever you're applying. No-one can answer that generally, some do allocate, some are random.
Reply 4
I once found myself sharing a flat with an alcoholic,a sex maniac,a gay Mancunian betting shop cashier and a dwarf.

The rent was very cheap.
Usually they try to sort people although it's somewhat limited by the type of accommodation people get assigned/apply for and different universities will put different things first when it comes to assigning flats, e.g. a lot will try to make sure none of you are on the same course.
I think a lot of unis do 'sharing preferences' in theory. But people aren't always accurate about their lifestyle (e.g. saying they will be quiet then making some friends and partying a lot) and it's going to be too big of a job to get it right for everyone. I went to Loughborough and I'm pretty sure you gave your preferences e.g. quiet, clean, smoker etc but from what I saw they didn't take it into account at all!

Quick Reply

Latest