Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Adjusting to new job and home...

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

1. I have a degree though currently working in McDonald's, after moving in with partner- while it isn't ideal- I'm doing it to pay bills.

2. I've worked about four shifts and I hate it. People (mostly crew members) expect you to know what they are talking about when they scream their "McJargon" over the kitchen to you- despite been here literally four days as a Newbie. They have abbreviations for everything, rules for everything, it's hard to remember it all. Training is fast paced, people can be impatient, though managers are okay but it's dependant on store times.

3. Company culture in my store is such that people mess about and don't take any of it seriously, although quick to revolt if you make mistake, and get annoyed if you don't pick it up. I've only been here four days!

4. Relates to no. three; if your serious they pick up on it, and your like the killjoy of the store. I've already overheard colleagues saying they aren't keen on me and I'm too serious. I'm naturally an anxious guy, I suffer social anxiety attacks, of course I'm not gonna be happy and jokey

5. I'm new to area, it's just so foreign to me: the accent, the people/behaviours and just the environment. It's polluted, inner city industrial dumping grounds.

What advice would you give me?

Good for you for working in McDs to pay the bills.
    Dont lose your cool, be polite smile and say thank you. If theres stuff you dont know, then stay behind after shift for 15-30 mins and learn. Makes notes if needed.
    Stick it out, once you know your stuff, you can then get good at your job and they will be able to rely on you. Theyve all been through it. Dont tell them you are a grad if not already done so. Think of the money and then look for another job. Do not quit.

give yourself a bit of time with the job, 4 days is nothing in terms of getting used to any job, let alone one as fast paced as mcdonalds, don't stress about whether people like you, are you likely to make long term friends there? probably not... I assume it's only a temporary thing anyway... just focus on earning your money and getting home, when you get home try and focus on the positives and make sure you do some nice things and have time to yourself... and cut yourself some slack, it's a big adjustment to move and get a new job, it will take some time before you're feeling comfortable
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.