The Student Room Group

New laptop recommendation

Hi

I'm thinking of buying this laptop:

http://m.ebuyer.com/724984

What do you think? Can anyone recommend me something better? My budget is around £300.

I'll just be using for the laptop for Skype, and browsing the internet.

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Bump?
That laptop is massively over-speced for your requirements. You shouldn't be paying more than half that for what you want.
Original post by Kagutsuchi
Hi

I'm thinking of buying this laptop:

http://m.ebuyer.com/724984

What do you think? Can anyone recommend me something better? My budget is around £300.

I'll just be using for the laptop for Skype, and browsing the internet.

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For what you want to do, ever considered a chromebook?
Cheap, lightweight, long battery life and is just... simple.

Check out the Dell Chromebook 13 or the Toshiba Chromebook 2 (Two of the best Chromebooks of 2016).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by BlueSam3
That laptop is massively over-speced for your requirements. You shouldn't be paying more than half that for what you want.

Original post by Optimum_
For what you want to do, ever considered a chromebook?
Cheap, lightweight, long battery life and is just... simple.

Check out the Dell Chromebook 13 or the Toshiba Chromebook 2 (Two of the best Chromebooks of 2016).

I'll also be using it to watch HD videos and multi-task - such as having a number of browsers open, alongside skype and a video playing. I'd just prefer it to be as good as I can get with the budget that I have.

The Toshiba Chromebook 2 looks great, but the Intel Celeron Processor worries me a bit - would it be fast enough to multi-task as I want?
I'll also be using it to watch HD videos and multi-task - such as having a number of browsers open, alongside skype and a video playing. I'd just prefer it to be as good as I can get with the budget that I have.

The Toshiba Chromebook 2 looks great, but the Intel Celeron Processor worries me a bit - would it be fast enough to multi-task as I want?

I don't own a chromebook, however if you mean multitasking as in having multiple tabs open on the browser or browsing + skype; it should be able to handle it. Of course the more multitasking you think you will do, the larger ram you should consider (e.g. instead of 2gb, go for 4gb).

My advice, check out review sites like Techradar and then come to a conclusion yourself.
Reply 6
Original post by Optimum_
I don't own a chromebook, however if you mean multitasking as in having multiple tabs open on the browser or browsing + skype; it should be able to handle it. Of course the more multitasking you think you will do, the larger ram you should consider (e.g. instead of 2gb, go for 4gb).

My advice, check out review sites like Techradar and then come to a conclusion yourself.

Thanks for the advice, but I was really hoping for a range of laptop recommendations. :smile:

I'll go with the ebuyer one I linked in my first post - it's 4gb, which isn't great, but the processor is pretty decent, and I can upgrade to 8GB if need be, since the installed OS will be a 64 bit Windows 10.

Unless anyone can recommend anything different?
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice, but I was really hoping for a range of laptop recommendations. :smile:

I'll go with the ebuyer one I linked in my first post - it's 4gb, which isn't great, but the processor is pretty decent, and I can upgrade to 8GB if need be, since the installed OS will be a 64 bit Windows 10.

Unless anyone can recommend anything different?

Chromebooks are terrible. Do not get a Chromebook.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending