Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

A language as a Single Honours Degree?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi there,

    I am currently studying German, Italian and comparative literature, in my first year at the University of Glasgow (we have to take 3 first year courses to start with).

    German is my main subject, and I'm finding my other subjects really difficult. I was wondering about switching from my Joint Honours German and Italian to Single Honours German, but everyone I know does a language at Joint Honours - either with another language or a different course entirely.

    I'd like to know if doing Single Honours would disadvantage me in any way - would my job prospects be affected? Does anyone else to Single Honours in a language?

    Thanks for your help

    Whilst I'm not at uni yet, I'll try to offer some advice.

    Honestly, I'd try and keep two languages. What kind of job do you want? Most language teaching jobs require two languages, as do a lot of professional translation jobs, particularly the larger organisations such as the EU.

    Hopefully things get better for you.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.