The Student Room Group

edexcel nuffield chemistry unit 6 synoptic

anyone else think this paper was a bitch??
personally i thought it was the hardet i had ever done and now i am really upset...don't know if i will make my grade b for uni :frown:
soo many questions I just guessed..
hydrolysis products for the organic chem
the last question, writing the full equation
displayed formula in first question? how can it be a weak acid (unable to displace na2co3 yet be a carboxylic acid? Or does it not contain a COOH group at all??)
oh dear, the more i think about it, the more questions i realised i got wrong
hope my coursework and food sci will pull me up

wht did everyone think??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
that paper was soooooooo difficult :mad: :mad: i don't think i'll get a B now. i thought it was harder than the past papers, hopefully the grade boundaries will be low
Reply 2
shit!!!! that was tough, a lot different than usual type of questions
wtf was the displayed formula in the first question? and why couldnt they give us a normal born haber cycle and not one involving enthalpy of solution which was really confusing :eek: and also so much organic chemistry :confused: ahhhhhhhhh
Reply 3
yep, a real bugger of an exam! thats nuffield 4 u!
anyone get an ester fro the displayed formula? good thing about that question, is that the formula is worth one mark, you get the bulk of marks for the results of tests etc... and what bradys reagent shows etc...
Reply 4
i got some random arene with a hydrocarbon chain on the top which was acidic :confused: i have to say chemistry wasn't as hard as physics yesterday :frown: but it was still hard
KingAS

displayed formula in first question? how can it be a weak acid (unable to displace na2co3 yet be a carboxylic acid? Or does it not contain a COOH group at all??)

organic acids are weak acids so it did have a cooh group
the bradys reagent told you it had a carbonyl group C=O
the benedicts test told you it wasnt an aldehyde
the absorbtion at 830 told you it was an arene ring with 2 adjacent hydrogens
cant remember what the other test were

over all i didt think the paper was too bad - just triky - made me think a lot!
Reply 6
sigh...it's ashame i did so badly on food science
fuckin hell. :eek: got to be the hardest exam i have ever taken in my life. i'm sure i've failed that, and i dont think i did to well on food science. thought i found food science easy, i'm beginning to think to easy, so i must have done something wrong.

for the first question did anyone get an ester?

i'm dead upset...i hate chemistry now. :frown: :mad: :frown: :mad:
Reply 8
yep, got an ester, i made an ester with a chiral c atom, duno if its right tho!
Reply 9
That was harder than previous papers but it could have been worse.
!) was an ester, it was: C6H5CH(Ch3)OCOCH3

Nickel question confused me with the calculation, method marks only i suppose for AgCl etc

Born Haber was weird. Did anyone get a small exothermic enthalpy change of solution? like -30 something kJ mol^01?
Reply 10
ahh oh my god i thought i had gone so wrong on the born habour one, but yeah i got -31!!! or something there abouts
Reply 11
yipee
ahh oh my god i thought i had gone so wrong on the born habour one, but yeah i got -31!!! or something there abouts

phew, I think some people got 20 something? The actual value is -20 something according to the internet :/
Reply 12
for the first question i got the displayed formula as a benzene ring with CH2CH3CH3COOH???
Reply 13
fat_joe
for the first question i got the displayed formula as a benzene ring with CH2CH3CH3COOH???

i think i got that aswell
Reply 14
tara b
i think i got that aswell

at the start it said it smelt of berries or something so i think it was ester.
Mr was C10H12O2
KingAS
anyone else think this paper was a bitch??
personally i thought it was the hardet i had ever done and now i am really upset...don't know if i will make my grade b for uni :frown:
soo many questions I just guessed..
hydrolysis products for the organic chem
the last question, writing the full equation
oh dear, the more i think about it, the more questions i realised i got wrong
hope my coursework and food sci will pull me up

wht did everyone think??

carboxylic acids will react with Na2CO3 but although phenol is weakly acidic, it won't react.

I got a phenol, with another 4-carbon chain coming off another carbon on the benzene ring. One of the carbons had a ketone on it and it was arranged so one carbon was chiral.

It definitely wasn't an acid. Carboxylic acids react with Na2CO3, and also Brady's reagent detects carbonyl groups (C=O in aldehydes/ketones - not sure about esters) not carboxyl groups (COOH)

Have to say I missed the smelling of berries bit.
fat_joe

- That would react with Na2CO3
- That wouldn't test positive with Brady's reagent
- It needs a chiral carbon.
Reply 17
yo

does anyone remember what they got for entropy changes of the system, surroundings and the overall entropy change?
Reply 18
It had a phenol group rather than ester as it was slightly acidic and reacted with sodium.

Not a carboxyllic acid as it did not react with sodium carbonate.
Had a ketone and 2 adjacent Hs.

Had an unsaturated bond
my molecular formula was C10 H12 02; a lot of others seemed to have got this

according to the info in the question, its an ester ie:sweet smelling

it has a ketone group

it has a hydroxyl group

in this case how can there be 2 O atoms, since an ester grouping itself has 2 atoms?

my Mr must be wrong, im curious to know what others got

Latest

Trending

Trending