The Student Room Group

First year medical books

Question to those in first year or above in medical schools- What books do you recommend for someone going into first year? There is a reading list, the main ones being "medical sciences, Naish", "Pharmacology, rang& dale", "Psychology and Sociology Applied to Medicine" and lastly an anatomy book. Also, are there websites for second handbooks that you know of?
Thank you.
Reply 1
Don't buy books before you get there. You won't know what you'll really use/need until you experience the course and work out what you like, and your med school library should have all the books you'll need to begin with. The only book I'd be confident you'll need is an anatomy textbook. Most people will recommend Clinically Oriented or Gray's, though personally I feel that they have a lot of detail and that there are more concise, relevant anatomy books out there. You'll find everyone has their favourite way of studying anatomy and opinions are very much divided
To echo what was said above - don't splash out now, just borrow books from the library. If you find you're using something really often but have to keep returning it, then buy that textbook! Your med school might arrange a second-hand textbook sale, mine did. And if you're Google-savy then you can probably find a dodgy-website to download some of the major medical textbooks from :h:

Yeah in terms of anatomy most people will swear by Gray's or Moore's Clinically Oriented. Personally I prefer Moore's, as you'll probably be heard said a lot, it's clinical blue boxes are really good. You'll probably also end up buying Netter's or Gray's flashcards if you're into using flashcards. Aclands Video Atlas of Anatomy is really good for learning the basic anatomy imo, but unless your medical school has a free copy I wouldn't bother.
Reply 3
Original post by Sim98
Question to those in first year or above in medical schools- What books do you recommend for someone going into first year? There is a reading list, the main ones being "medical sciences, Naish", "Pharmacology, rang& dale", "Psychology and Sociology Applied to Medicine" and lastly an anatomy book. Also, are there websites for second handbooks that you know of?
Thank you.

Doing a pharmacology degree atm (going to grad med next year), and I find Rang and Dale a bit dense even now!
Original post by Sim98
Thank you.

Buying books before getting there is one of the silliest things you could do. I was tempted last year as well; I know the feeling.

What the most convenient thing is to borrow from the library; it's what most of us do throughout the year. If you can't borrow from the library, I think BMA Student website allows med students to borrow books for longer periods of time for FREE.

Absolutely NO need to buy books; at least for pre-clinicals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending