The Student Room Group

Are my A level choices to random?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bethan Louise
Hi! I am in Year 11 and have recently had to submit a form with my A level options. I am still not really sure what I want to do in the future. For a long time I thought I wanted to be a primary school teacher but now I am thinking about going down the medical root. I am a very indecisive person so I knew I needed to keep my options open! I am predicted all A's and A*'s for my GCSEs and wrote down for my A levels: Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and English Language. I would REALLY appreciate any advice from anyone on whether these are a suitable mix of subjects or it if they are too random! Also any advice on what careers would suit these subjects would be really helpful! Thank you so much!
P.S I have realised now that I spelt 'to' incorrectly but it's past midnight and I am kind of falling asleep . Anyway it won't let me edit the title so I will have to leave it like that. Sorry if I offend any English students 😂

Don't worry too much about randomness, just do things you like. And I don't mean 'like' as in things you are able to do at GCSE, I mean ones you have a genuine like and full understanding of.

I took Bio, Chem, Maths and English Literature at AS. I got A*, A*, A, A* in them at GCSE so I thought I would be fine, but sciences and maths are hard, hence why I suggest only doing them if you love them. I picked them because I did well at GCSE, but A levels do not come with the same ease. One A level is the work of like 7 GCSEs so don't take the decision lightly.

My favourite subject was English and I got an A at AS because I loved the subject and really understood how to write essays. Maths I didn't really fully understand but I thought it would be helpful for the future. I didn't get a great grade, so I wish I had done something I really liked and succeeded in that instead, even if it didn't hold the same status a maths a level does.

Good luck, and please don't base your decision on GCSE grades, but subjects you really like and fully understand because the demand for full understanding and commitment at A level is high.
I'm surprised no-one's pointed out the other spelling mistake and the grammar mistake in the OP.

If you enjoy those subjects then it's okay. I haven't studied English at A-level, but if it requires correct use of English then that's something you should work on.
Don't bother about randomness. As long as you have biology and chemistry to get you into medicine, you'll be fine. Lots of people take random subjects - it just depends on what you like and what you're good at.

I have friends who do English, Maths, Music and another subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
Don't bother about randomness. As long as you have biology and chemistry to get you into medicine, you'll be fine. Lots of people take random subjects - it just depends on what you like and what you're good at.

I have friends who do English, Maths, Music and another subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay 😃 Thank you!
Original post by annaj97
Don't worry too much about randomness, just do things you like. And I don't mean 'like' as in things you are able to do at GCSE, I mean ones you have a genuine like and full understanding of.

I took Bio, Chem, Maths and English Literature at AS. I got A*, A*, A, A* in them at GCSE so I thought I would be fine, but sciences and maths are hard, hence why I suggest only doing them if you love them. I picked them because I did well at GCSE, but A levels do not come with the same ease. One A level is the work of like 7 GCSEs so don't take the decision lightly.

My favourite subject was English and I got an A at AS because I loved the subject and really understood how to write essays. Maths I didn't really fully understand but I thought it would be helpful for the future. I didn't get a great grade, so I wish I had done something I really liked and succeeded in that instead, even if it didn't hold the same status a maths a level does.

Good luck, and please don't base your decision on GCSE grades, but subjects you really like and fully understand because the demand for full understanding and commitment at A level is high.

Thank you so much Anna - this is really helpful 😀
Good! Which is your favourite and what are you hoping to do in the future?

Go down medical/science route. Spanish and English literature are chosen due to skills attained from it, enjoyment and ability. Loads of people told me to do maths but I'd rather get like an A in spanish than a C in maths. I'm kinda fed up with maths tbh haha. I literally chose my favourite subjects, but from them, I'd say Biology and English literature.
No, don't worry, I know what you mean. At first I wrote down history as I really enjoy it and it is one of my best subjects but I found out that the course is a lot of politics which doesn't really interest me. Should I change back to history?

I do History and I do enjoy it, but like you say you have to learn about politics and economics. It's not too heavy, but I'd only recommend if you are good at writing essays and making judgements. What period is the course?
Original post by Katiecartwright
I do History and I do enjoy it, but like you say you have to learn about politics and economics. It's not too heavy, but I'd only recommend if you are good at writing essays and making judgements. What period is the course?

It's 1950's Britain up to 2007, 100 years of Ireland and and then a study on Russia too, but I can't remember the period!
I did Russia for my AS and it was quite interesting, but it's sometimes difficult to learn Russian words and names.
This year I'm also doing British politics 1918-1964 and it's okay, a lot about housing, education, continuity in policy etc. I've always found the parts that we brush over Ireland quite challenging, but if you enjoy it, it's a solid subject :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest