Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Accounting in UK vs. US

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi, I'm planning on studying Accounting and finance in university and to become a qualified professional accountant after I graduate. However, I cannot decide whether I should study it in the UK or the US. From what I know so far, one of the benefits of studying in UK is that the accounting degrees here are professional degrees, but in the US they are not. But I'm not entirely sure what this "professional degree" means and how it differs from US degrees in terms of the quality. Also, can anyone describe to me the details of each accounting path/route I would be getting myself into and the pros and cons if I study in the US and the U.K. Thanks so much for your help!

Qualifying to become an accountant is usually a post-university degree, so I wouldn't worry too much about that if you're still deciding on your undergrad. Instead, think about the decision that you're trying to make: should you go to the US or (presumably) stay in the UK? That is a big question.

Living in a different country, a different continent even, for years on end, hours of flight away from your family and support, is not easy. And it's not only family, you'll make new friends, but you probably won't see your old ones that much anymore for a while. There will also be cultural differences which you'll have to get used to, and cost of living should be a consideration too.

That said, I don't know any people who regretted studying in a different country. I would definitely encourage anyone study abroad (I'm doing it myself at the moment), but I think you need to know what you're signing up for and perhaps do a little more research on what it means to actually live and study in a different country.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.