The Student Room Group

Need help on 2 Maths Questions

1) I managed to get all the other vector questions correct but I can't seem to do the last vector question which involves finding the vector P closest to the origin.

Share2016-04-17-bdb3f98500ea33c1b908c5e7ba17784d3f4a24c02fa8ff50957f332a09c6d284-Picture.jpg

2) I got part A right but I'm struggingling with part B

Attachment not found
For question 2), use A = x and B = 1, and solve from there. Use the formulas for cosh and sinh to work out what cosh(1) and sinh(1) are.

I can't remember how you'd solve question 1), I think it's just some result that you have to memorise, have a look through your textbook.
Original post by TimGB
For question 2), use A = x and B = 1, and solve from there. Use the formulas for cosh and sinh to work out what cosh(1) and sinh(1) are.

I can't remember how you'd solve question 1), I think it's just some result that you have to memorise, have a look through your textbook.

Got question 2, thanks :smile:

I did have a look in the textbook for the vector question but there's nothing there :/
Original post by creativebuzz
Got question 2, thanks :smile:

I did have a look in the textbook for the vector question but there's nothing there :/

Ok, find the plane that is perpendicular to l, and includes the origin. Then find the point at which l crosses the plane, and that's your P.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TimGB

Share2016-04-17-93138e0afa3cdc7966f1eef6a5b4110c6a31906f3446ccee61261b39370c1f6d-Picture.jpg

Attachment not found

I think I've got the answer to the vector question now! But would you mind spotting where I got part e correct? I got the other answers right but not this one :/
Share2016-04-17-93138e0afa3cdc7966f1eef6a5b4110c6a31906f3446ccee61261b39370c1f6d-Picture.jpg

Attachment not found

I think I've got the answer to the vector question now! But would you mind spotting where I got part e correct? I got the other answers right but not this one :/

Decided to do the entire question to help, here's my answers for parts d and e:

Also, thanks for the follow!
Original post by TimGB
Decided to do the entire question to help, here's my answers for parts d and e:

Also, thanks for the follow!

Ah I see what you've done, thank you! If I could rep you again I definitely would :smile:

Do you have any advice on how to get better at questions like those? You seem to be really good at it
Ah I see what you've done, thank you! If I could rep you again I definitely would :smile:

Do you have any advice on how to get better at questions like those? You seem to be really good at it

Practise a lot. Learn key formulas like the quadratic formula and the trig formulas. Just try and stay calm during questions/exams - you know the content, so you have the knowledge required to answer all the questions. The brain has a tendency to take shortcuts when stressed, so useful long term memory facts are often ignored in situations of high stress.

Quick Reply

Latest