The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine or re-apply for Imperial Medicine?

Hi, I know for some people this is an extremely easy choice, but I am struggling to decide what to do. I got an offer for Medicine from UCL and was rejected post-interview from Imperial (I just had a really bad day). A lot of people been telling Imperial's way better than UCL, and I don't want to miss out on potential opportunities that Imperial may offer that UCL does not. I very much doubt it is possible to transfer between the two places further down the line so essentially I need to decide now. I know there is very decent probability that a re-application may turn out to be unsuccessful post or pre-interview, but the South Kensington campus is tempting and you only get one chance to decide which uni you go to.

I would appreciate some advice on this. Thanks
Original post by Medstudent98
Hi, I know for some people this is an extremely easy choice, but I am struggling to decide what to do. I got an offer for Medicine from UCL and was rejected post-interview from Imperial (I just had a really bad day). A lot of people been telling Imperial's way better than UCL, and I don't want to miss out on potential opportunities that Imperial may offer that UCL does not. I very much doubt it is possible to transfer between the two places further down the line so essentially I need to decide now. I know there is very decent probability that a re-application may turn out to be unsuccessful post or pre-interview, but the South Kensington campus is tempting and you only get one chance to decide which uni you go to.

I would appreciate some advice on this. Thanks

Take the offer. There won't be any difference in the long run between them and you don't want to end up reapplying and getting no offers. You will still love UCL.
Original post by ForestCat
Take the offer. There won't be any difference in the long run between them and you don't want to end up reapplying and getting no offers. You will still love UCL.

Ok thanks. I think it's how people were boasting about it that got to me. Just to reassure myself, how do you know there's no real difference in the long run?
Ok thanks. I think it's how people were boasting about it that got to me. Just to reassure myself, how do you know there's no real difference in the long run?

Because medicine doesn't work that way. Foundation applications are blind and after that the things that matter for jobs are things like research, publications, audits etc.

Ignore those people. They're just being immature kids who don't know any better.

Congrats on your UCL offer, its an amazing achievement! Now get those grades!
(edited 7 years ago)

The UCL and Imperial medicine courses are probably more similar than different. I'm sure you'll have a great time at UCL. And to shut up the idiots that were boasting, show them this: http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2016/medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
Because medicine doesn't work that way. Foundation applications are blind and after that the things that matter for jobs are things like research, publications, audits etc.

Ignore those people. They're just being immature kids who don't know any better.

Congrats on your UCL offer, its an amazing achievement! Now get those grades!

Thank you so much, I don't have any doubts about it anymore and am out of the abyss now. Yep, time to get revising!
You can point out that UCL is a more popular choice with Oxford transfers if you wish.

Or you've got quantitative proof of no difference here and here.
UCL is great for Medicine, highly doubt you'll regret it. No guarantee you'll get into Imperial next year either.
Original post by nexttime
You can point out that UCL is a more popular choice with Oxford transfers if you wish.

Or you've got quantitative proof of no difference here and here.

Wow, that is pretty damning evidence, thanks!
Original post by AliRizzo
UCL is great for Medicine, highly doubt you'll regret it. No guarantee you'll get into Imperial next year either.

Yeah I don't think I'll regret it, being a medical student anywhere is privilege let alone UCL or Imperial. Are you a medic yourself?
Yeah I don't think I'll regret it, being a medical student anywhere is privilege let alone UCL or Imperial. Are you a medic yourself?

I will be in September.
If you had offers from UCL and Imperial, I would be voting for UCL anyway. I don't think it makes sense for anyone to turn down a medical school place in the hope of earning a place somewhere else the following year. I certainly cannot envisage circumstances under which I would suggest someone turned down UCL in favour of possibly getting into Imperial at the second attempt. Take the offer and stop over-thinking... !!

COI: Previously worked at UCL; married to someone currently working at Imperial; lots of talented friends and colleagues from both institutions.
Original post by MonteCristo
If you had offers from UCL and Imperial, I would be voting for UCL anyway. I don't think it makes sense for anyone to turn down a medical school place in the hope of earning a place somewhere else the following year. I certainly cannot envisage circumstances under which I would suggest someone turned down UCL in favour of possibly getting into Imperial at the second attempt. Take the offer and stop over-thinking... !!

COI: Previously worked at UCL; married to someone currently working at Imperial; lots of talented friends and colleagues from both institutions.

I completely take your point and I agree with it, it was just the opinions of other people at my school that got to me is all. I won't have to put up with them for much longer so hopefully this will all be behind me next year. Sometimes hearing belittling comments (from people not doing Medicine) can make you forget your place and how much a place at Medical School is worth. I know now that I am extremely fortunate to have gotten UCL Medicine... Better get used to hearing these sorts of things from patients and other people in the future, you really have to be tough to succeed in Medicine.

Thanks
I completely take your point and I agree with it, it was just the opinions of other people at my school that got to me is all. I won't have to put up with them for much longer so hopefully this will all be behind me next year. Sometimes hearing belittling comments (from people not doing Medicine) can make you forget your place and how much a place at Medical School is worth. I know now that I am extremely fortunate to have gotten UCL Medicine... Better get used to hearing these sorts of things from patients and other people in the future, you really have to be tough to succeed in Medicine.

Thanks

Your patients won't give a **** where you went to med school as long as you are competent and kind. I don't think a patient has ever asked me. Most of your colleagues will be similarly uninterested, or will only ask to see if you have shared friends/have worked in the same places. Ignore the idiots at your school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Helenia
Your patients won't give a **** where you went to med school as long as you are competent and kind. I don't think a patient has ever asked me. Most of your colleagues will be similarly uninterested, or will only ask to see if you have shared friends/have worked in the same places.Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if they did - which I agree would be very unusual - I'd be surprised if any serious person wanted to distinguish between Imperial and UCL. I'm sure the medical school of Francis Crick, Joseph Lister, and Archie Cochrane can withstand a little secondary school snobbery. I would never swap being taught at UCLH and the Royal Free for St Mary's!
Original post by Helenia
Your patients won't give a **** where you went to med school as long as you are competent and kind. I don't think a patient has ever asked me. Most of your colleagues will be similarly uninterested, or will only ask to see if you have shared friends/have worked in the same places. Ignore the idiots at your school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM

where you trained is rarely ever an issue in any health profession , you may get a bit of curiousity if someone sees your full alphabet soup and it;s a bit out of the ordinary ( such as the UoSheffield Nurses with BMedSci (hons) as their first degree from topping up Advanced Diploma)...

Quick Reply

Latest