The Student Room Group

Why do I do this?!

Whenever I have an essay and can easily complete it way before the deadline I tend to still submit it roughly half an hour before the deadline

I have a deadline at 23.55 today, and whilst I could've completed the essay yesterday I've just been working on it in bits. I tweeked it a bit this morning, had a long break, and am now doing the intro and conclusion... but I may still come back to it later and I'll end up submitting it just before the deadline.

I wish I could just get it done and submit it now. But I can't.. I'm a slight perfectionist so it could be this. It's not a case of leaving it until the last minute because I've pretty much finished it already.

Does anyone else do this?
Reply 1
Yeah.. :L haha, I think it's a way of putting things off til the last minute and it works but it still stresses me out in the long run
Reply 2
As long as it's handed in on time and it's the best you can do, does it matter? If you were leaving the whole thing until the last minute, that'd be different. But if it's the final bits of it, then maybe you just need to accept that this is part of your academic process?

When I did coursework, I always used to write absolute crud for the first week. I tore my hair out over this until someone pointed out that I did it every time. It was just my academic mojo warming up. Once I chilled out and allowed the crud to happen, life got much easier.

The only problem with last minute hand ins, is that you're not leaving contingency for things like computer/internet/network problems, which might prevent you handing in by the deadline.
I do stuff like that, I feel the adrenaline and the rush makes me work harder, and as long as I keep doing well I am a ok
I used to do that but this year I forced myself into working as soon as I received the assignment as when I leave it until the deadline to submit, then i just get myself overly stressed.

I cut myself off from social media for a while and gave myself no other option but to work on the assignment. I finished 1 week before the deadline and it felt amazing for once.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one! :biggrin: Although this time I managed to submit it at 6pm, which is probably the earliest I've ever submitted a piece of work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending