The Student Room Group

Queen make bad albums

No disrespect to the band, they truly are one of the goats

but outside of their incredible singles they have very little to offer

discuss

Scroll to see replies

I totally agree.

Another overrated band.
Incredible live performances, great singles. Hate most of their music.

Agreed.
Reply 3
I expected more backlash lmao
The Game is by far their best album, though.
thought this was some anti-Monarchist thread :redface:

look darling, here is one at Glastonbury
(edited 7 years ago)
How dare you????!!!?????
Reply 7
Original post by Blondie987
How dare you????!!!?????

Lol they do make bad albums though, fantastic singles and live shows. But bad albums
You make bad grammar :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by EllainKahlo
You make bad grammar :wink:

Op posted the truth
Reply 10
Original post by Dopeshhonly
No disrespect to the band, they truly are one of the goats

but outside of their incredible singles they have very little to offer

discuss

Oh hell no, they are one of the best bands of all time how can you say that, listen to a night at the opera, brilliant album
Original post by rm715
Oh hell no, they are one of the best bands of all time how can you say that, listen to a night at the opera, brilliant album

Op said they was one of the greatest bands ever lol

the word goat is an acronym for "greatest of all time" fam
Reply 12
Original post by Itsyaboy
Op said they was one of the greatest bands ever lol

the word goat is an acronym for "greatest of all time" fam

Oh lol sorry I'm not down with the lingo obviously
Have you listened to songs such as 'The Millionaire Waltz', 'White Man' and 'Flick of the Wrist'?

Not only are they musically fantastic, but the lyrics are equally brilliant. I can understand that some of their songs might not be to everyone's taste, but their songs changed over time and more importantly, they covered a vast range of genres. So although there may be some songs you don't like, there's there's bound to be at least one song in an album that is suited to your particular taste.

I personally prefer the unconventional Queen songs now. Before I became I full on Queen fan (bordering on self-confessed aficionado), I dismissed the less well-known Queen songs as perhaps a little odd, but I often find the more you listen to them, the more you understand and appreciate the music.

'My Fairy King' is a key example of this- the first time a listened to it I was like wtf, but now I think the instrumentation and lyrics are absolute genius. I mean, I didn't get it at first, but the song is practically a poem, about how human corruption has tainted the purity and perfection of the world (well, this is my interpretation anyway)- you wouldn't get this upon a first listen.

Obviously, I'm going to be a bit bias, but I think it's worth reconsidering your opinion on Queen albums. Granted, some are better than others, but I certainly wouldn't generalize all of their albums as "bad".
Original post by Monty25dec
Have you listened to songs such as 'The Millionaire Waltz', 'White Man' and 'Flick of the Wrist'?

Not only are they musically fantastic, but the lyrics are equally brilliant. I can understand that some of their songs might not be to everyone's taste, but their songs changed over time and more importantly, they covered a vast range of genres. So although there may be some songs you don't like, there's there's bound to be at least one song in an album that is suited to your particular taste.

I personally prefer the unconventional Queen songs now. Before I became I full on Queen fan (bordering on self-confessed aficionado), I dismissed the less well-known Queen songs as perhaps a little odd, but I often find the more you listen to them, the more you understand and appreciate the music.

'My Fairy King' is a key example of this- the first time a listened to it I was like wtf, but now I think the instrumentation and lyrics are absolute genius. I mean, I didn't get it at first, but the song is practically a poem, about how human corruption has tainted the purity and perfection of the world (well, this is my interpretation anyway)- you wouldn't get this upon a first listen.

Obviously, I'm going to be a bit bias, but I think it's worth reconsidering your opinion on Queen albums. Granted, some are better than others, but I certainly wouldn't generalize all of their albums as "bad".

You named like three songs lol
The point is that queen are not an album artist. Bands/acts who are include Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and more recent (2004) acts like Kanye West all make very, very good albums that have been critically acclaimed.

Once again, no disrespect to the members of queen
Agreed, some of their albums are weak (Hot Space for example) but there's others that are amazing works of art. 'The Game' is a masterpiece and 'The Miracle' is another example.
You named like three songs lol
The point is that queen are not an album artist. Bands/acts who are include Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and more recent (2004) acts like Kanye West all make very, very good albums that have been critically acclaimed.

Once again, no disrespect to the members of queen

I merely named those as examples from the top of my head, and it seems that you have not remotely considered my argument. Queen are a very subjective band, I'll agree. I also love Pink Floyd, and to a lesser extent, Led Zeppelin (but Kanye West?????????????).

My point is that there is such depth to Queen songs that people sometimes overlook. As a fellow musician, I can soundly say that many people hastily disregard them because they cannot appreciate how cleverly interwoven each individual instrument is to produce a glorious tapestry of beautiful sounds. They are not simply musicians, but artists.

P.S. I think the fact that you have used "Kanye West" and "very good" in the same sentence wholeheartedly discredits your argument without me even having to input.
I merely named those as examples from the top of my head, and it seems that you have not remotely considered my argument. Queen are a very subjective band, I'll agree. I also love Pink Floyd, and to a lesser extent, Led Zeppelin (but Kanye West?????????????).

My point is that there is such depth to Queen songs that people sometimes overlook. As a fellow musician, I can soundly say that many people hastily disregard them because they cannot appreciate how cleverly interwoven each individual instrument is to produce a glorious tapestry of beautiful sounds. They are not simply musicians, but artists.

P.S. I think the fact that you have used "Kanye West" and "very good" in the same sentence wholeheartedly discredits your argument without me even having to input.

No, as a musician, you should respect Kanye. If you hear any of his albums it's almost impossible to not notice the incredible amount of creativity that goes into them. This is most apparent in my beautiful dark twisted fantasy.
No, as a musician, you should respect Kanye. If you hear any of his albums it's almost impossible to not notice the incredible amount of creativity that goes into them. This is most apparent in my beautiful dark twisted fantasy.

His music is one-dimensional- I'm constantly harassed by one of my friends (who, I should point out, also admires Cheryl Cole, Kesha and One Direction. Make of that what you will) to listen to his music, and I can honestly say that he is not just vocally poor, but his music is dull.

Not only that, but he has frequently used ghostwriters for his lyrics, and if otherwise, there's about five or six different people collaborating with him. I think this make it clear that there is a limit to his musical and lyrical ability.
His music is one-dimensional- I'm constantly harassed by one of my friends (who, I should point out, also admires Cheryl Cole, Kesha and One Direction. Make of that what you will) to listen to his music, and I can honestly say that he is not just vocally poor, but his music is dull.

Not only that, but he has frequently used ghostwriters for his lyrics, and if otherwise, there's about five or six different people collaborating with him. I think this make it clear that there is a limit to his musical and lyrical ability.

Welp, you do know that he's one of the greatest rap producers of all time yeah? If it wasn't for Kanye, you probably wouldn't know Jay Z as he is today.
He was also arguably one of the most influential artist of the 21st century so far. Without him, there'd be no Drake, no the weeknd or frank ocean. You might not like them, but they're the biggest selling artists of today.

Note that if a writer is credited, then they're not a ghostwriter. And do you genuinely think all these amazing lyricists of the past hasn't ever asked for advice on a song and not credited that person?

Quick Reply

Latest