The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Reply 1
Original post by john2054
I have already started it, but i showed my lecturer an early draft on yesterday and he just said 'bad, bad, bad', and that it needs a total rewrite. So my question is, do i have enough time, and what about the references? By the way this is an English essay!

Two weeks is more than enough time to do a 3,000 word essay - I've done a 5,000 word essay in time constraints like this before. Have you done your research already?
What is your specific question on references? How to do them? If so, google the Harvard referencing system, it's the one I always use :smile: Use footnotes in your text and put a bibliography at the end.
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Read the thread about the guy who did allegedly did 8k words in a day, inspirational stuff.

2 weeks is enough time if you were starting from the beginning. And you've already done a bit of the leg work
I did my 10k word dissertation in half the time and got a 2:1 for it so completley doable
Reply 4
I'm sure you can manage 214 words a day.
That's plenty of time lol
Easy
Reply 7
mate i did a 3000 word essay in 2 days 1 night ctfd
Reply 8
Original post by celloel
Two weeks is more than enough time to do a 3,000 word essay - I've done a 5,000 word essay in time constraints like this before. Have you done your research already?
What is your specific question on references? How to do them? If so, google the Harvard referencing system, it's the one I always use :smile: Use footnotes in your text and put a bibliography at the end.

Original post by dean01234
Read the thread about the guy who did allegedly did 8k words in a day, inspirational stuff.

2 weeks is enough time if you were starting from the beginning. And you've already done a bit of the leg work

Thanks guys. (and girl), I guess my problem is that i like procrastinating too much. I had already have written 1800 words, but that's the lot my good old professor junked. Not to worry though. It is my intention to play some more computer games, and do some typing up of this essay.

I don't know how you like to do it, but i am happiest when i a, do the reading b, write up my ideas on a4 c, add references d, type up the notes and e, edit on a computer.

I currently will have about two thirds of this done, when i type up what i have already done. And I also need to add an introduction and conclusion.

Truth be told, I am hoping he will grant me a two week extension, because i have a disability and a support plan, thus should be entitled to one. But I didn't need it for my first piece of work with him, so i think he thought that i didn't need it at all?

I guess i should get off tsr then??
I have already started it, but i showed my lecturer an early draft on yesterday and he just said 'bad, bad, bad', and that it needs a total rewrite. So my question is, do i have enough time, and what about the references? By the way this is an English essay!

In the nicest way possible...
start the essay instead of asking us!
Good luck, I'm sure you'll smash it mate.
In terms of the word count it's totally doable.

Your lecturer doesn't sound very helpful. Has he given you pointers as to what he'd like you to do for it to not be "bad"?

I don't know if this is just a me thing but I hand essays in without asking for feedback in the process of doing it because then I can't be marked in a way that says "she didn't do what I specifically asked her to".

Maintain a good structure and be sure to answer the question and show that you have understood the question by acknowledging it and your methodology in your introduction.

I don't know how you like to do it, but i am happiest when i a, do the reading b, write up my ideas on a4 c, add references d, type up the notes and e, edit on a computer.

I currently will have about two thirds of this done, when i type up what i have already done. And I also need to add an introduction and conclusion.

Truth be told, I am hoping he will grant me a two week extension, because i have a disability and a support plan, thus should be entitled to one. But I didn't need it for my first piece of work with him, so i think he thought that i didn't need it at all?

I guess i should get off tsr then??

This sounds like a good way to do it, especially if it works for you. Make sure you've asked your lecturer for advice on what exactly was bad, then work through on fixing those - you don't necessarily have to scrap everything you've already written.
If you do feel like you need it, go for the extension, as it'll give you time to perfect it.
3000 words in two weeks is extremely easy.
I do 3,000 words under one sitting (3 hrs after thoroughly understanding what I need to write) then reword some stuff for it to make sense/fix up some typos. It's seriously not that hard, you just need to understand what you need to write about. Not just that but you should have let let your lecturer tell you what you needed to change, it would have made it easier for you to know what to concentrate on. I hope this helps, I'm half asleep so if this doesn't make sense, that's why.
Reply 14
It's easy. I wrote a 3000 word essay in 4 days with procrastination and all. :h:
At AS-level I wrote my EPQ (5000 words) in a day and a half, but I ahd planned it out and done lots of research beforehand. I didn't write a draft though. My teacher gave me an A! I was so happy! And then the exam board marked us all down and I got a C :colonhash:
Reply 16
Hi everyone thanks for your kind words of advice. I have hit just over 2600 words so far. I understand that some people can literally write like thousands of words in each sitting, but my work goes through a process of checking and drafting, then editing. I don't just submit the first thing i write.

So yes, I am about 400 words away from the goal, although to be honest with you over half of what i have written so far will have to be scrapped, because it is no good. But I should reach the target if i am given the extension, and i may even finish it in time for the formal hand in date. We will see.

BTW the module title is Riots and rebels, intercultural drama, and despite being an english unit, i am not doing an english degree!!
I've written a 2500 word essay in 5.5 hours. Between 11 pm and 4 am before the morning it was due.
Original post by celloel

Hi what is a footnotes please?

Latest

Trending

Trending