The Student Room Group

Primary Teaching degree or Psychology degree?

I need help ! I had an offer from Liverpool and Nottingham trent to study psychology, but now finishing my A levels ive realized that i am so fed up of studying and want to do something more vocational! So i was considering staying at home and doing a teaching degree locally. However, I dont know if im missing out on the uni experience by not moving away from home! Im in a relationship too and dont want to be too far, although we've only been together a month. Also is a psychology degree better than a teaching degree? I mean overall i want to be a teacher, but you can do it through doing a psychology degree! Im just so confused! What do i do? Im through to UCAS extra now.
Original post by daisyfx
I need help ! I had an offer from Liverpool and Nottingham trent to study psychology, but now finishing my A levels ive realized that i am so fed up of studying and want to do something more vocational! So i was considering staying at home and doing a teaching degree locally. However, I dont know if im missing out on the uni experience by not moving away from home! Im in a relationship too and dont want to be too far, although we've only been together a month. Also is a psychology degree better than a teaching degree? I mean overall i want to be a teacher, but you can do it through doing a psychology degree! Im just so confused! What do i do? Im through to UCAS extra now.

If you can only see yourself being a teacher then do primary education :smile:
Original post by daisyfx

First off, you'll absolutely regret basing any decisions on a relationship when your 17/18 (especially if you've only been going out for a month).

Doing a psychology degree will likely open up a few more doors, however its only worth doing when your pretty committed (rather than just doing it because everyone else is going to uni). You don't have to start doing a degree straight away so you could do a primary education qualificaiton to start off with it wouldn't stop you going to uni later if you so decided? Its not absolutely essential to start university at 18/19 people do it later and still work out fine!
Reply 3
A career in psychology usually requires many years of study. If you want to be a psychologist, you'll be studying between 7-9 years or longer if not full time for the duration. This is because you'll need a PhD. This time frame also doesn't take into account that some courses over highly sought after and you could be applying for your PhD 3+ times before being accepted.

You need to be really passionate about this career if you're going to dedicate around a decade to achieving the chance to even begin it!

If you see yourself being a teacher then the teaching degree makes much more sense and you'll be putting your foot on the ladder much sooner

Quick Reply

Latest